Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel horse GT 14...any info?

AC808

Im picking up one of these in the next week or 2...its a large machine with a 14hp Kohler. Any of you guys know much about these?

AC808: Yes, I know a little (to quote Lynyrd Skynyrd-lol) about the GT 14. I have one. What are your particular areas of interest? There is a decent history of the company floating around on the net--I'll try to link to that. Yeah--I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but here it is: [url]http://www.angelfire.com/al2/wheelhorse/wheelhorsehistory.html[/url] The tractors are heavy, and heavily built, IMO. The GT 14 is hydrostatic, so mine has a hyd. lift with the optional Cat. 0 three-point hitch. I don't think the 48" deck is a scalp proof as the Simp. 42" deck, even given its 6" larger swatch, as it doesn't follow the front axle the same way. Having said that, this tractor changed my opinions about hydro transmissions--I like 'em now! LoL And, throttling up through high grass with a 48" deck and 14 horsepower is pretty intoxicating. The tractor is fast, too. It has a sticker on it that indicates a 7mph top speed, but because of it's heavy weight and instant (hydro) response, it feels super quick out of the hole. IOW, transitioning from a gear trans tractor like a 2110, the hydro takes a little getting used to--at least that's been my experience. Apparently the idler assy. for the mower belt on the deck is fragile. The guy I got mine from had several welded examples on hand. IOW--don't bang the deck into immovable objects, because bent sheet metal won't be the worst of your worries. The idler assy. is apparently suseptible to deck impacts. I've hit a few things and so far, so good, (knock on wood three times) but I try to be vigilent. The gas tank is perhaps the Achille's Heel, design-wise. It's encircled by a massive, CAST IRON "radiator" shell, (which I think weighed 38lbs, but don't quote me) yet the HUGE, plastic, single-wall gas tank forms the whole "grill" of the tractor. A sharp stick could release 4 gal. (or more?) onto the hot engine. My tank cracked near the neck, over the winter--no apparent reason. I really, really like the Wheel Horse GT 14. I like it's look, it's mass, it's bulk and it's power. Where the 2110 tips, on my lawn, going sideways across the hill (I know, but it's a short distance, and it's smooth) so I have to sit on one fender, the GT 14 sits flat and stable. At the risk of offending the faithful, the GT 14 is a different class of tractor, from a large-frame Simplicity, and I've been enjoying it, despite my example's horrific electrical problems (a largely-missing wiring harness--not the tractor's fault--lol). The parts I've needed (fuel pump kit, belts, springs, ignition switch) are available, but I've been told some parts are not. I think you'll enjoy the GT 14. If you don't, there's definitely interest in the community in that model, as it's one of Wheel Horse's bigger tractors. I think there are other members of the Club who have confessed to owning some Wheel Horses. Perhaps they can give you their impressions--I know I'd be interested in reading them as well. I'd love to see some pics of your Wheel Horse, once you get it in the barn.... Peter

The GT-14 was made from 1969-1973..You can go to the link below and look up parts and what some of the options/attachments was avalible for it..You will need to enter you model number..If you don't have one then this one 1-7441 will work as they are pretty much the same tractor through the years they was made.. https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro I have several Wheel Horse tractors and really like the quick hitch set up on them..I don't think the GT-14 had the quick hitch though..Always wanted to get a GT-14 or a D series..

Mowerman: I believe my GT 14 has something called a "Speed Hitch," if I'm not mistaken? However, my deck kept falling off, until I noticed the small holes in the Speed Hitch's locking "jaw," if you will. These holes were never mentioned in the mower deck instructions I have. Anyway, I ran a coat hanger wire through the holes, to lock the jaw closed, and the deck has stayed locked on. I assume there's some factory, spring-type "keepers" that come with a Wheel Horse, but again, it's not in my manual.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsegardentractors/messages/1?viscount=100

The quick-hitch was introduced in 1973, so your tractor could have it..or someone may have bought it and mounted it to a older model tractor..Yes is should have a spring loaded pin in it that you push to release the "locking jaw"..

Thanks for the info guys...Im going down next week to haul it outta there...The wife wants me to put the loader on it (its now on a 912) not sure what i think of that idea...