Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pow'r Max Rear PTO rusted up

nighteye

I have a 4041 in the barn that has the rear PTO option but it appears that it was never used and most certainly never oiled to prevent rust. The Collar and balls are rusted so bad that I cant move a thing. I started hitting it with PB-Blaster a few weeks ago and Still no help.(MAybe this should be in Shop Talk) Im wondering if there is anything stronger,or am I tearing into this thing. Was thinking about some heat but I see in the parts manual that A seal is close. Any Ideas? THanks, Ken

Plenty of any good foaming light oil should do what you need. Don't be afraid to waste a littl ein the process. A large socket and a few taps of a small hammer to loosen the outer collar inwards and plenty of oil should free it up. Once you have that mveing keep it inward and tap the balls with a small punch to free them up. If you have a shaft, put it in and keep it oiled up while trying to get it in the full distance. It may take awhile but this ussually works for me witout getting into drastic measures.

I saw an ad in a auto trade magazine, for a new product from liquid wrench. suppose to freeze the part and that breaks loose the rust, letting the oil soak in. i'm going to look at my local parts store for some to try

I've had a little better luck with areo kroil, when that fails, soak it in coke a cola, be sure to oil it good after you drain or wash the coke out as it will cause more rust.