Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got my new bucket

dcw06

I wanted a Johnny Bucket,but the Mrs. wants a new laptop.So,to keep the peace I went to TSC and picked up a Swisher.And added a winch from Harbor Freight.For now I have the winch bolted to the front,but it is in the way of opening the hood.So the next rainy day I'm thinking about a bracket bolted to the sides of the frame with the front so it will pivot forward to open the hood.

We had ordered some bare root Blueberries that we needed to get in the ground,so that gave me the chance to try it out yesterday.After we decided where to plant,I ran the tiller thru and hauled out the sod and put clean dirt back in.

All planted.

Now to carry water.

So, the winch raises the bucket and the rope on the left trips it? Looks like fun.

Can you giv us some more pictures of how its mounted, I would love to get one for my AC720

It may be the winch used to raise the bucket, but it appears to raise the bucket a lot higher than the JB. How much fab work to adapt it to the Simp? It looks like a great value and quite useful.

Sweet. Add my "ditto" to all the questions in the other replies. How much is a Swisher if you don't mind my asking?

46" bucket $324.00 at TSC.$50.00 for a power in and out 2000 lb. winch at HF.And yes,the winch raises and the rope dumps it,for now.I plan to add another winch on the right side of the bucket frame for dumping.Plus it will make it easier to tip the front down for digging in.Here is some pics of the hitch.

I need to weld a mount for this pulley.

This is a mount that I made so I could use the first blade that I bought for it.It is for a mid 90's Landlord and the hitch is not as wide.

I just welded 2 extra pieces to the inside to mount the bucket.Perfect fit.No mods to the bucket frame,it can still be switched to a ATV.

Had to put this orange stick on to keep from raising it to far.

That is very nice, I like using the Winch because it may also be used for pulling other things when disconnected from the bucket....Am I correct in thining this?

quote:
That is very nice, I like using the Winch because it may also be used for pulling other things when disconnected from the bucket....Am I correct in thining this?
I never thought of that! Actually I stole it from another project I have been working on.

Dave, What do you do for fun when you're not dreaming up and building weird contraptions?? Good thinking on the cantilevered side mower. ^

DAVE!! YOU are the MAN!!8D You just solved my dilemna of how to make a bumper mounted (and cheap) way to lift one of those semi-portable (cheap) non movable bumper mounted snow plows (like this, http://www.solotec.com/pi.html ) for my 4wd GMC for this winter!! MAN!! I am SOOOO excited now. Ive been thinking of how to do this exactly, and now all Ive gotta do is make a bracket like yours, buy a winch and mount it to the front bumper and to the plow!! AWESOME and it will work FINE and be VERY reasonable!!8D:) I will have a nice, lightweight, cheap,good working plow this winter now!! THANKS BUD!!!!!8D8D8D Best $10 I EVER spent!!!:)

I'll bet this would work for an offset rototiller in the same situation that you show with a mower. Trying to restablish a route on drainage ditch. I would imagine that counter weight would have to be several times th weight of suspended object. 10 times?

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I'll bet this would work for an offset rototiller in the same situation that you show with a mower. Trying to restablish a route on drainage ditch. I would imagine that counter weight would have to be several times th weight of suspended object. 10 times?
Ron, it's simple leverage based on the distance from the fulcrum or pivot point. You need 5 pounds, one foot from the pivot point, to offset 1 pound, 5 feet from the pivot point on the other side. The "equation" of weight x distance from the pivot (i.e. fulcrum) must match on each side to achieve a perfect balance. Actually, you'd want some weight left on the suspended attachment to hold it to the ground, but the math above will get you within "fine-tuning" distance... :D Plan to have your counterweight adjustable, either by moving closer to/farther from the pivot or by adding/removing weight. Then, you can adjust to different conditions, as needed...

quote:
by Roy What do you do for fun when you're not dreaming up and building weird contraptions??
Hopefully the contraption works,so far it does:D.That allows me more seat time-fun time,instead of a sore back.:( The idea bank is dried up for now,just want to get these two projects fine tuned for now!