Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

620 sputters and dies....

compostibles

Howdy all. It's 85 degrees and windy here in SE minnesota. I have been using my 620 to mow my yard without a problem lately except for today. After running the engine at 3200 RPMs for awhile, it will sputter and die. While it was sputtering I glanced under the hood at the fuel filter and noticed there was no fuel inside the filter (just a small clear canister filter meant for a tecumseh). I opened the gas tank to vent it, but there was no change in the fuel flow. I let it cool off for a while and started it up again. I had the gas cap unscrewed just a little and after about 10 minutes of mowing it died out again. No idiot lights came on indicating it overheated, this time there was fuel in the filter, but it wasn't being drawn in, even though fuel was coming back to the tank through the return line. Vapor lock? Overheating-perhaps the idiot light is burned out? Not convinced that the fuel pump is on the fritz. Any thoughts? Thanks. Jason

Does pulling the choke on when it dies out help? If not then check your points, if so then trace out the fuel restriction or replace the fuel pump thats getting weak.

Hi, Take a look at my comments on the Loss of power post a little farther down on the page. Al Eden

Yah. Putting on the choke as it starts to die seems to help it to stay running.

Al's right read this one http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64532[url][/url]. My daughter was mowing my lawn yesterday and the kolher started sputtering, pulled choke and it cleared up. Never had the problem with it before and it was only 97 out there.:p

I had this same problem the other day. It happened shortly after my wife ran it out of fuel. After filling it with fuel it ran for about an hour, the died. It would run with the choke pulled out only. After several hours of trying different remedies, changing fuel filter, fuel line and such, it coughed and sputtered a bunch and started to run fine. I am quite sure that when it went empty on fuel it picked up some debris from the bottom of the tank and it was stuck somewhere in the carb. Lucky for me it came loose before I had to take the carb apart to clean it. Runs fine now!

regarding the above allis 620--cckb 19.5 horse. So I ran it some more yesterday to finish up the yard and it would run for about 15" before it stopped. I would have to let it set for about 30 mins before it would start. Take off and start mowing again, and after 10-15 mins, it would die out. Putting on the choke as it would die would prolong the throes a few seconds longer. Starting it would require me to crank it for 15-20 seconds before it would grudgingly fire up. small to moderate amount of white smoke. I got the correct fuel filter from Napa, peered into the tank which seemed clean, cleaned the air filter, tipped up the cooling fins and there was minimal debris there. I pulled off the return line to eyeball the fuel flow, there seemed to be some return flow coming back. After all this, it would repeat the cycle of dying out. -How much flow should be coming back through the return line? I don't have a pressure gauge handy. If the fuel pump is going out, is there a rebuild for it? or do I need to get a new one. $$$? -If the carb is dirty, is there a resource of how to take it apart and clean it? or with the age of the carb, would I be better off finding a replacement for it? My wife is starting to think the tractor's not so sexy. Thanks! Jason

If you come to the conclusion that it is the fuel pump, don't replace it with and original. Get an electric one (you will find several posts on the site about what to get and how to mount it). It is not only more reliable, at last you will be able to adjust the carb.