Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Boney

Breathers Q

Boney
Do you guys relace Breathers when rebuilding a motor? Is there a way to check if it is working? I have looked it up in the book and it only tells you how to replace them but I am not able to find out how to test them. Thnx

ZippoVarga
Herm, Are you refering to the crank case vent? In assuming that this is your Question I would reccomend changing it if it doesnt appear as though it has been changed in a while. Idle time to this unit will cause gumming up and possibly cause an increased pressure internally. Blowby through the Crank Case Vent is directed back through the carb to make for more efficient burning of the gasses. If this gets partially clogged you may risk a carbon build up in the head and valve assemblies. To be safe, I would replace it. Sean

D-17_Dave
Washing it out in a gas or cleaning solution so the reed valve is free to operate is all the service it needs for a lifetime of use. Just keep it clean and make sure the gasket is installed properly so oil drains away.

2burning
The Kohler Service Manual on page 23 (or 4.3) has a picture of an easy to build Manometer to test breather operation. Made with a cork, some clear flexibe hose, a board, hose brackets, ruler and some H2O. http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

ZippoVarga
Great info guys. I wasnt aware of the lifetime thing with Kohlers breathers. Nor was I aware they were testable via the link 2Burning posted. I still maintain that this is the best sight for true, honest and thorough information. And the best place to learn!! Again, great info Dave and 2burnin!!