Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917 AC: Kohler only runs on choke

mikeg75

Hello Again. Earlier, I inquired about a 917 allis, whether it would be a good purchase. I did purchase it for $475 with snowblower and tiller. During the first few hours of use, it mowed easily, and tilled with no problems. It doesn't use much oil, which has been a pleasant surprise. However, during those first few hours of use, it needed to be choked 1/2 to 3/4 way in order to run properly. Now, it only runs when fully choked, and lacks power to mow properly when it is running. I replaced the air filter, and added the oil/foam precleaner. I changed the fuel filter. I put about two tablespoons of carb/injector cleaner in with 2 gallons of gas, and ran it for about 1/2 hour to try to clean the carb. None of these has fixed the problem so far. I would really like any thoughts you may have (the grass is growing steadily, and I am weary of push mowing). PS: I do have a tech manual for the KT-17 as it is used in a 317 deere, I think this may be applicable to my engine as well. Thanks in advance

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY poWERmAX, TURNED OUT TO BE AIR IN THE GAS LINE (VAPOR LOCK) SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE WHAT HEPPENED TO ME. REPLACE THE GAS LINES AND MAKE SURE ALL THE CLAMPS ARE TIGHT.

I haven't adjusted the idle and high speed screws - I discounted them as a possibility, since I assumed they couldn't vibrate loose. Air in the gas line? This may be possible. There is a fuel filter and a brass 1/4 turn valve inline. When I replaced the fuel filter, I used a MTD -replacement filter, I think it is manufactured for briggs engines. When I am running at full rpm, the fuel filter chamber is only about 1/2 to 3/4 full of fuel, I don't know if this is indicative of a problem, or not.

Check the vent in the gas cap and clean/remove the screen in the bottom of the tank. Then check for a Vacuum/air leak at the carb and intake manifold. You can do this by spraying around the base of the carb with carb cleaner or a fine mist of water will also work. If the engine smooths out you have found the problem. Bad gaskets or warn throttle shaft.

I'd almost guess that you've pretty well cleared the tank out of all the stuff that'd likely been sitting in it for who knows how long and now the carb is full of gummed up gas. Another thing to check would be the size of the gas filter you installed. Lots of them are way smaller than you'd expect and it's only a couple extra turns on the clamp to tighten it up. It's a fairly large hose and fitting combination and if you restrict it you can have ther symptoms you describe.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I hope to look at the engine in the next few days or so. I will let you know what it is if and when I find it....