Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's That I Smell,,?

dlcentral

Barbequed chicken,while you are mowing your lawn?? No,,it's refined biodiesel that I'm trying at 100%,now that hot temps are here,My 920 loves the stuff and runs quieter on it too,,when cold temps return it will have to be cut 50%with kero or reg diesel,it costs about 80cents per gal to make it so its not really free but the 920 does run fine on it,if I can reduce the methanol costs[to below $2 a gal] the per gal cost will go way down,,anyone else out there playing with this stuff??:o):o)

I don't have any diesel machines but from what I've read people like it. Is it possible to describe the smell? Does it smell like diesel exhaust but stronger, weaker, not smell like it alt all...?

It is a pleasent smell,diesel is not imo! they claim whatever was cooked in the oil will give off that aroma when used in the eng soy oil is best,dosent gell til 20's temps, batter fried stuff contaminates the oil faster so Ive been told by my friend who refines it,He runs 100%in his diesel jetta with no pro-blemos,,

My Straight Vegatable Oil (SVO) (WVO) Volkswagen smells like burnt fried food. I did have a batch a few years ago from some mexican place that cooked hot peppers in it or something, becasue the exhaust would make your eyes water and sting. I keep wanting to make a biodiesel processor but I can't get time to do it. Keep us posted on your 920! Biodiesel is good stuff.

The news had a story about a guy who ran his VW on the stuff. One day he parked it in the woods to go hiking and a bunch of bears attacked the car. I guess they liked the smell of french fries.

I would like to be able to run bio in my Dodge truck but am afraid of pump damage.

The info I get from the Iowa petroleum manufactures is be careful of the "home brew" bio diesel. It "can" be bad for the pump and injectors on a long term basis. Even soy oil that is intended for diesel use can be bad if not refined enough. Just ask anybody from Minnesota what happened to the 2% bio blend this past winter. The problem was "out of spec" fuel. A nice way of saying the soy oil was hurried through the refining process to meet demand. Pure soy oil intended to mix wit diesel fuel has a fairly high gel point. some where around 30 degrees. However this is disputed depending on where you get your info from. I have been running a 20% blend in my fuel truck and have been happy with it so far. Engine runs smoother and quieter, has more power (top speed went from 75 to 78 where it is now bumping the governor, and it smells like a soybean running down the road! Do you homework before you decide to use "bio-diesel". There are many websites on the subject so choose carefully. Just my 2 cents worth. Ken

Agreed on cold weather business,I'll prob just go back to kero/fuel oil I'm happy at present to just do my spring/summer/fall yard work on bio,it seems to work fine.The fuel has to be washed otherwise you have soaps in it from the chemical reaction with methanol and lye, which will cause probs my friend washes his 4 times till wash water is clear.,

I have a diesel motor sitting in the garage waiting to go into my Jetta...need some time...Im planning on running some biodiesel when i get it going...

The basics are, if you want to make biodiesel you take vegatable oil (used or new) and heat it up, then mix in a mixture of Methanol and Lye, mix for an hour or so, then let set for 8 hours or so and the thick glycerine will separate out on the bottom and you are left with biodiesel on top. Then you wash it with water, either bubble or mist. Then drain off water and allow it to dry some, presto you have biodiesel. Pour it in the tank. There are more details than this short description. For WVO, you have to modify the fuel system of the vehicle, so that the oil is heated to coolant temperature before you try to burn it. Not useful for our air cooled Lombardinis.

A good website on this is; www.planetbiodiesel.com 2burning is correct you can eithr treat it and put it in your present fuel tank after letting it dry for a few wks., or just heat/filter it and run a separate fuel sys.,that works better on liquid cooled engs like vw mercedes etc.,

The 5% biodiesel here is a little higher than regular. Ive been thinking about putting it in my 1910 instead of regular diesel.

Better be careful running that good smelling stuff...Might get sued by the neighbor for the smell making him hungery and making him eat and get fat LOL..