Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck pulley fell off

Dik

Lack of proper manuals and inexperience have left me in a quandry about a recent mower problem (Landlord 2012). The mower deck pulley that joins the belt from the mower deck (430) to the tractor pulley on my 2012 fell off during use. Inspection revealed threads on the inside of this pulley that had worn smooth. The threads on the mount (center arbor of the mower deck) are still present, but am not certain if they hav been damaged. There is also what appears to be a keyway in the groove of the pulley, and the blade still turns freely. How does this pulley attach to the deck? What parts need to be replaced besides the pulley? Thanks; Dik

Dik, There shouldn't be any threads on the inside of the pulley. It is attached to the Arbor shaft with a Woodruff key and set screw. The top nut compresses everything together. Typically what happens is the set screw comes loose and the pulley starts to wiggle on the shaft. Over time, this will wallow out the keyway groove on the pulley/hub. These parts should still be available thru your local dealer. You can also download the parts list for this mower deck (990430) from the simplicity website. The link is provided on this sites homepage, right side, towards the top. I just rebuilt this same deck so feel free to ask more questions if you need. Welcome to the club. Mike

Hi Dik Mower #990407 Another thought on your repair. The set screw in the lower pulley should be taken out and thrown away. The new replacement pullies do not have one for a very good reason. The set screw will not let the torque on the system to hold tight. Torque to at least 12 foot pounds on a NEW nut ( #1922133 ). Every time you sharpen the blades, re-torque that nut. Paul

I just rebuilt the center arbor on my Landlord. With the exception of having a hard time removing the lower pulley, rebuilding was a cinch. I will agree with the need to throw that setscrew away and for the torque on the nut. One reason I had to rebuild is that the nut worked loose. That location is a great place for a locknut of some sort, though I used a new factory model number nut. Talk to your friendly Simplicity parts dealer. Bearings are relatively cheap, as is the housing. The shaft is a different story, so if yours is usable, remember to tighten that nut!