Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

CCKB Kaput

The CCKB on my P'max died on me today. It turns over (not seized) but with a horrible grinding sound. What typically breaks loose on these engines?

eagle5473
It could be alot of things -broken crank -sheered off key on the crank -broken rod I would sugest to pull the heads off first and see if the pistons move when cranked over slowly and then go from there, most likly will need to be pulled out for a total diagnosis..... when you say it tuns over, is the starter making the grinding noise or the engine?

quote:
Originally posted by eagle5473
when you say it tuns over, is the starter making the grinding noise or the engine?
I think it's the engine making the grinding noise. The starter sounds like it disengages properly after the engine starts.

quote:
Originally posted by StanD
Magnets in flywheel let loose?????
Certainly a possibility. I'll have to dig into it in a few days. I'll report back when more is known.

Back again with good news to report, I think. The heads were removed and it looks like the cylinders and valves move as they should. I'll take a look at the flywheel next.

quote:
Originally posted by PGL
Good luck for a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.
Not to worry. JP will noodle a way out of this. This is what we have thus far. Pistons and valves move in concert. Well, they appear to at least. The front PTO moves at the same rate as the flywheel when it is engaged. The stator remains stationary when the flywheel is turned. The flywheel ring gear looks good without any evidence of hanging up on the starter. What to check next? I suppose pulling the engine is next.

firefoxz1
I've heard dry bearings/bushings in the starter itself make horrible noises, but not really grinding. I have a Sears GT18 with an Onan engine and it sounded the same but ran great, My first thought on mine is it was the starter but when I went to remove it I found a loose starter bolt. So far so good with the major grinding noise but I do retighten it every so often when it starts to sound a little funny.

D-17_Dave
You stated in the first post that the engine died. Did it actually quit running or did it just start this grinding racket. Could be the bearings in the clutch drive for the hydro. Does it stop when you depress the clutch?

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
You stated in the first post that the engine died. Did it actually quit running or did it just start this grinding racket. Could be the bearings in the clutch drive for the hydro. Does it stop when you depress the clutch?
You may be onto something. Actually, the tractor started to make a strange noise an hour or so before quitting. It sounded like a small exhaust leak but then again my hearing isn't all that keen. I assumed it would be OK for a while and went about with my work. Then the engine just stopped while idling. The horrible grinding sound came about when trying to restart the engine. It would run but not without the grinding. Bearings are a definite possibility especially considering that JP was on me earlier to replace them. I bought the bearings but didn't heed his advice by installing them. Ouch! Well, it looks like I'll have to pull the engine regardless of the problem.

Kenh
Not sure if this applies or not, but I'll throw it out there for what it's worth. I had a starter with a broken magnet. The glue let loose and half of the magnet was "stuck" on the armature. It made a horriable grindy/squeely noise when I started the tractor. Ken

quote:
Originally posted by Kenh
Not sure if this applies or not, but I'll throw it out there for what it's worth. I had a starter with a broken magnet. The glue let loose and half of the magnet was "stuck" on the armature. It made a horriable grindy/squeely noise when I started the tractor. Ken
Definitely would make an ugly sound but I don't think this is what's happening in my case. The grinding sound takes place after the engine starts and the starter is disengaged.

swede
Not sure if it is the same sound, but my P'Max was making a grinding sound when it was running and it turned out to be the double pulley that drives the drive shaft.(On the clutch mechanism) The bearings were shot and caused the pulley to fail. What I was hearing was the splines grinding off.

quote:
Originally posted by JP
Da Brg's......... Do the Brgs! LOL I sent you a note.......... JP
Yah, the lesson being learned the hard way.

Back again. The clutch bearings apparently are not the problem or at least the source of the grinding sound. I reinstalled the cylinder heads and removed the drive belts and the sound is as it was in the beginning. Looks like I'll have to dive in deeper and take a look at the timing gears next.

Ah ha ... one of the small metal covers on the flywheel magnets broke loose. The stator doesn't appear damaged. Could this be what was causing all the racket and enough to stop the engine?

quote:
Originally posted by StanD
Bingo!!!!!
You da man Stan! Congrats on nailing this one on the head. I removed the timing cover just to be sure there were no issues with the timing gears, etc. Everything looked fine inside. So, it appears that one of the flywheel magnets was the sole source of the problem. All of the stator mounting screws were bent obviously after catching the flywheel. But it's still hard to believe that all that racket was the result of one little magnet cover.