Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416H Starting Problem Solved

BradW

Thanks to all who correctly diagnosed my hard starting problem as the points and condenser. Finally went into town yesterday to get the parts. I replaced both and now she starts and runs great. I was a little surprised that the points alone cost $18. Add a condenser and new plug you're up to $28. Oh well, money well spent. Thanks again, Brent

Herb is correct regarding the microfarad capacity rating of a condenser. I forget which way it works but if the capacity is "just right" the points last forever. If the capacity is too large or too small the points burn quicker. The part I don't remember is how to adjust the condenser. The side of the points (positive or negative) that burns determines whether you need to make the capacity larger or smaller. In olden times we routinely changed the condenser microfarad rating to minimize point burn. Maybe Al can shed some light on this topic. Roy

Since my tractors go thru condensers faster than they do condensers, I have found out that the condenser for a 300-6cyl. Ford or a 302 Ford engine can be adapted to work on the tractors. Therre may be others that will work but......since I have a few Fords around the house, that is what I had on hand the day the tractor broke down and it was inconvenient to go to town just for a condenser. I used the little bracket that came with the original condenser and slipped it over the Ford condenser and slipped it into place. I also found out that that Ford condenser is only $2 and a litttle change compared to $6 and some change for a B&S original equipment condenser!!! Each time I have to change the condenser I look at the breaker points and dress them up if necessary. So far I have gone thru three condensers and 1 set of points in the past seven years.

I also have replaced the points and condesnser on my Simplicity 3416H too and wire terminal on the amp. meter gauge. Karl Brandt[A href='http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html']http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html[/a]

The Ford condenser may be identical to the B&S, I don't know. But, I seem to remember that condenser capacity is measured in microfarads and a condenser with the wrong capacity will cause metal transfer on the points. I never paid much attention to theoretical stuff so maybe I'm wrong.

Well....... since I started using the Ford condensers, the points themselves seem to last forever. By the way, I am using a 12 volt coil and battery Ignition on this unit, but the wards tractor still uses the magneto and has a Ford condenser on it and the results are the same as far as points wear is concerned.