Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Lift

BradW

I had the same problem with y 712s. I ended up getting a rolled steel pin that was about 1" long and had a large enough slot to fit over the cable. I put this over the cable where it passes through the connector for the deck and then squeezed it shut. Has worked fine for several years now. Rob

Yes it sounds "normal". Cable clamps and lugs also work well to shorten by attaching to cable after pulled past pin link.

The deck on my 7012 doesn't begin to raise until the lift lever is in the last notch of the quadrant. Is this the way it is designed? It seems to me that the deck should start to raise when the lift lever is in the middle of the quadrant. Nothing appears to be worn or bent, and I can't believe the lift cable has stretched, but maybe it has. I don't know the original cable length. I have installed a cable cheater so it's no big deal. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem may be. PS. I replaced the cable pulley assuming the groove may have been worn, but it wasn't.

I have noticed the same thing also. I think the part numbers (cable lenghts) are different for the AC 700 Series VS. the AC 900 Series Maybe one of the dealer members can shed some light on this. What is a cable cheater? I tried to tie a knot in my cable t make it shorter and ended up with metal cuts from the cable strands breaking and then it was too short!!!

JCS, A cable cheater is a gizmo with a small "J" hook that you can buy at any auto parts store. It is used to take the slack out of auto parking brake cables. If you can't find a cable cheater, rather than tie a knot, take a single chain link and loop the cable slack thru it and put a nut and bolt crosswise.

I have 4 tractors AC 700 and Sim 3400 and ALL of them have this issue. I think Sim put cables on that are too long. I also have used various "cheaters". MS