Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting Help

cwm1276

Yesterday my 7117 with a Command 18HP would not start. I had run around the yard many times starting and stopping each time. On start #7, I would just get a click out of the starter. I cleaned the battery terminals, took the old battery in for testing and replaced it, still just a click from the starter. Headlights work, but do go out when key turned to start. I am out of Ideas. Thankfully the I got the lawn mowed on Friday, so I have a couple of days.

I would check the safety switches for 1. the seat (if there is one) 2. the neutral safety (gears or hydro in neutral) 3. pto safety switch. Check your other cables ie ground and ignition. I hope this helps. JH

If the solenoid is clicking I don't believe its is a safety switch. Most likely the solenoid is energizing but not making contact to the starter. Try taking a jumper wire from Battery Positive directly to starter. (make sure tractor is out of gear and all PTO's are disengaged) If starter turns either the solenoid is bad or dirty connections/open wire between solenoid and starter. The Solenoid is a switch, it takes a low amperage circuit (from the battery through the ign./start switch to solenoid, small wire) to activate a high amperage circuit (from the Battery to solenoid to starter, large wire).

If the headlights go out when you turn the key to start I would suspect the starter is bad or possibly the gear drive is jammed. JMO As an afterthought this may be designed into the system for the headlights to go out in the start position.

Found whatever it was. I went out to try again, I checked the solenoid connections, took the ignition key apart and cleaned the connection and cleaned the connections on the Eden conversion wires from the KT to the command. Put the battery back in and it cranked over, with a little choke it was running the way I expected. I just need to find a new ignition key part as my key falls out real easy when in the off position.