Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A-C 616 died - any ideas?

TomF

If you have the Briggs twin you need to ground one plug wire while checking the other side for spark. Also disconnect the ground wire at right front to isolate tractor wiring. It may start again after it has cooled - if this happens check it again when it acts up.

I've seen two different models of AC 616. The one I'm most familiar with is the large frame model with Onan 16.5 HP motor. You probably need a new coil. I just had a coil burn out. Prior to that it was fouling my plugs for quite some time. Otherwise, check or replace points. The push rod that operates the points can sometimes pump engine oil up into the breaker box especially when the engine runs REALLY hot (all these Onan's run hot). That oil can carbon up the points if the gap isn't set properly. You or your Onan/AC/Simplicity dealer can check for the proper impedance of the coil with an ohmmeter. Primary should read 3.87-4.73 Ohms and Secondary should read 12,600 to 15,400 Ohms.

Our 616 died while mowing and lawn-sweeping the other day. It turns over but doesn't fire. There appears to be no spark to either cylinder. Should we suspect the Magnetron, or start looking somewhere else after we've checked all the wires/connections? Any help you could offer is appreciated...Thanks! Tom

This is a 1984/85 A-C 616 lawn tractor with a twin B&S. Sorry, I should have been more specific upfront. Jeff, thanks, I'll check as you suggested. Let you know what we find! Tom