Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mackissic shredder question

ehertzfeld

Has anyone tried to use an older PTO from a tiller to run a mackissic shredder? From looking at pictures I seen, it looks like the original PTO set up uses smaller pulleys. Any thoughts? Elon

Here are some picture that bIGGIE rAT sent me when he had his on ebay for sale. I haven`t gotten around to building the pulleys yet. I use my shredder on my 917 with the cone clutch and then you don`t need the pulley set up.

I can't answer the question acurately Elon, only add a few thoughts. The shredder drive from the engine turns X speed. If the engine drives the shredder at a 1/1 ratio then X =3600 rpm's. Now gear the pto to get as close to X as you can.

No sympathy nor answers here! Some of us would really like to have this problem... :( In fact, I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and buying a new 3.5" MacKissic... I've been watching eBay for months but everything seemed to be either too worn out or too far away with no shipping.... I'm now to the "clearing undergrowth" stage, and will need to chip/shred a lot of small saplings. Renting is always an option but expensive and a hassle...

Kent, I don`t know how far you are from this one but it has 5 hours left on the auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hevy-Duty-Mighty-Mac-Chipper_W0QQitemZ7771172281QQihZ018QQcategoryZ42228QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Kent, I don`t know how far you are from this one but it has 5 hours left on the auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hevy-Duty-Mighty-Mac-Chipper_W0QQitemZ7771172281QQihZ018QQcategoryZ42228QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks, Ray, but that one's too small. I need the 10HP size -- or 9HP on the old ones... the ones rated to chip 3.5" instead of 2.5"

Kent, It's pretty easy to mount it to the back of a tractor. I made the mounts for Maynard's, Seemed to work well in 'testing' (LOL). Do you need a pattern? I can look or maybe Maynard can zap off some pix also(?) Let me know........ JP

quote:
Originally posted by JP
Kent, It's pretty easy to mount it to the back of a tractor. I made the mounts for Maynard's, Seemed to work well in 'testing' (LOL). Do you need a pattern? I can look or maybe Maynard can zap off some pix also(?) Let me know........ JP
Thanks, but Elon's the guy who needs the hitch setup -- like I said, I wish I had that problem! :D There was one in Connecticut on eBay last week and I was waiting to bid, but the guy ended the auction early -- probably got a good offer "off-line" since his listing didn't mention it being for sale locally...

BTW, Elon, here's pictures of one installed. This is the shredder only (without chipper) but I think the drive mechanism is the same. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/tn_chipper2.JPG[/img] http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/mackissic.htm

I have the 12p, Its driven by a 7hp on a trailer. I've been waiting for Maynard to post drawings on the hanger and PTO idler.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
I have the 12p, Its driven by a 7hp on a trailer. I've been waiting for Maynard to post drawings on the hanger and PTO idler.
I've been looking at the new 12PT-10s with a Briggs 10HP on the trailer... I'd hoped to find something used in good, usable condition but it seems people hold onto them because like Simplicity, they're simple to maintain, still supported with parts and work so well... Lots of used Troybilts to choose from but they're no longer supported -- MTD didn't get patents for the Troybilt chippers, I guess, just the name that they're putting on their own machines... which are the same thing they're doing with Bolens, etc.

SO I guess no one has tried to power one using a tiller PTO. Well, I guess I'll be the first:D Kent before you get too jealous, mine is only a shredder. I wish it was a chipper too, but this will do for now.

As far as the hitching goes, I'm going to try to replicate the original. Maynard email me a few pictures of the one he has and the one he made. BTW Thanks Maynard!:D Elon

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
SO I guess no one has tried to power one using a tiller PTO. Well, I guess I'll be the first:D Kent before you get too jealous, mine is only a shredder. I wish it was a chipper too, but this will do for now. As far as the hitching goes, I'm going to try to replicate the original. Maynard email me a few pictures of the one he has and the one he made. BTW Thanks Maynard!:D Elon
Well, I guess that is some consolation... :D BTW, the flywheel and hammer knives on the new ones turn at 2100 RPM. Take that operating speed into consideration when calculating pulley sizes. I'd suggest a bigger pulley on the BGB than normally used on a tiller, but my brain is too tired to try to calculate what size you might need because of the two interim pulleys on the tiller drive. IMO, you can't go a whole lot smaller on the shredder since it needs a minimum size to prevent slipping under load....

Well I held it up to an old round style tiller PTO, and no go. Well not as easy as I wanted, so I am going to use the other style. I'm going to have to make some sort of on-off set up but, I'll figure that out later. Right now I just want to get it off the jack stands. If I remember right, isn't the newer tiller PTO BGB pulley a 5 inch? I think that mite be the same as the shredder. So I mite have to go up a bit. Elon

Elon, All you need is a drive pulley on the bgb output shaft same dia as the mid pto pulley, a long belt, and idler/tensioner. I have the chipper/shredder anytime you want to get a close up on it let me know. I have it on my 3112 now but I can't guarantee for how long........

Thanks Reed, If the Homie don't sell, I guess I have two reasons to visit you. :) Elon

Doing some research, I found that the guy who owns the one in the pic that Kent posted, runs it using the same pulley as the tiller, I think is a 5 inch. After I get it mounted I'll have to run some tests. Elon