Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Seat Brackets

GWGAllisfan

Did Simplicity or Allis ever make tractors with a seat mounted on springs? One thing I've noticed is the ride on newer tractors is less rough. I'd like to try to adapt something to the 712S and maybe the B-10, if I can. Any ideas or pictures?

Randy, The 7100/900 series tractors had the flip up seat and springs on the rear. I am going to convert my 716 whenever I get the time :) Brent

I converted the seat on my 494cc to one from a 16GTH. It flips up, is spring mounted and adjustable forward and back by pulling a release lever under the front of the seat. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/gregc/494ccJB2.jpg[/img] Here's a manual showing the parts on page 42: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1183_03_LL_SMA.pdf

Matt, if I get a trailer this year I plan to bring it. Ray, yes it's a JBJr. I've already bent the lift rod since the pic was taken while digging in this hard clay around here.

Greg, If you bring that one to Spring Fling, I won't have to pass are because you were holding up the parade. My tractor was idling faster in high gear than that tractor Matt loaned you would run at WOT.;):D:D:D Oh excuse me, I just realized that it may have been the fact that I was driving an RBT while the tractor Matt loaned you was a tired old FDT. I guess I shouldn't have said anything out of respect for the elderly tractors.}:)

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Greg, If you bring that one to Spring Fling, I won't have to pass are because you were holding up the parade. My tractor was idling faster in high gear than that tractor Matt loaned you would run at WOT.;):D:D:D Oh excuse me, I just realized that it may have been the fact that I was driving an RBT while the tractor Matt loaned you was a tired old FDT. I guess I shouldn't have said anything out of respect for the elderly tractors.}:)
Well, I guess it depends on whether you looking for speed or torque to get work done? ;) I had a 10" rear pulley on my FDT 2012 with loader, and in low gear you could likely crawl faster than it would run at wide-open throttle. However, it had so much torque that up against some "immovable object" it would sit and dig a hole in the ground at idle, spinning those deep-lug Chin Shens I had on it... I used it in second gear all the time, so it was a fast shift from forward to reverse using the loader. In 3rd gear at WOT it wouldn't go faster than a fast walk... So much torque that I eventually snapped an axle tube... :( But, you could so some serious work with a little machine! [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/Kent/rocks_4.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/Kent/rocks_1.jpg[/img]

Randy just remember that adding springs will increase the seat height,which in turn increases the distance your butt is from the tractor. That's another thing I like about the old "round hood" tractors,those neat flared fenders that give you the feel of being on a big tractor, although I admit the ride is a bit rough but I can't tell that much difference between the sprung seat on the 17GTH and the B's or 3012V. Kent was the 2012 a straight three speed or did it have the hi-lo option on it? I'm debating on wether to go with an 8" or 10" final drive on the B-10/16 for the heavy chores. Either way, I know the original drive is too fast for tilling but I don't want to drop the speed too low for plowing and cultivating or push blade work.

The 2012 was a straight 3-speed. After I broke the axle tube, I mounted the loader on my "repainted/refreshed -- can't call it restored" Big Ten that did have a High-Low on it. Having experimented, I don't recommend the High-Low for loader work -- I just don't think it's strong enough. For other things where you're not using brute force pushing, it works fine. I had a 10" (because that's what I had - a brand new one in the box) speed reduction pulley on it. Those were available for the old 725/B-1 HP machines. I'd recommend the 8" for 10HP or bigger machines. That'll slow it down all you need for plowing or tilling, yet still be fast enough for other uses.

OK,I have to admit that I was driving a shuttle tranny in 4th with 26x12x12 tires on the rear. I checked it beside Andy's 7790 hydro when Brandon decided to pass me, and mine was just slightly faster than the hydro with the smaller tires. It is still a stump puller in first, and I mow in third with it. Guess the leader of the FDT cult just can't take a joke. [:0] Sorry Kent.:D

Rod, I guess the reason the early tractors didn't have running boards was because every once in a while you have to use the Fred Flintstone maneuver to help them along.;):D:D

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Rod, I guess the reason the early tractors didn't have running boards was because every once in a while you have to use the Fred Flintstone maneuver to help them along.;):D:D
Don't laugh. I've done that several times on snow/ice... sure beats the alternatives of going to find someone else to pull you out of your predicament, or getting off and pushing... I'd much rather be self-sufficent and work from the seat! :D

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Don't laugh. I've done that several times on snow/ice... sure beats the alternatives of going to find someone else to pull you out of your predicament, or getting off and pushing... I'd much rather be self-sufficent and work from the seat! :D
Just funnin' Kent. I've got FDTs and RBTs in both small and large frame and enjoy them all. Just a little more partial to the LFRBTs.:)