Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5216 won't restart after running a while

4xbill

My 5216 starts fine when it's cold. After mowing for an hour and I turn it off, it won't restart. I have to wait a few days before it will restart. Almost seems flooded. Fortunately I have 3 others to choose from to finish the mowing, but the 5216 has the turbovac and covered cart to pickup the clippings and debris. Any ideas? Maybe a carb rebuild??:(

Could be flooding from lack of spark, you need to get a spark tester. one of the clear ones that goes between the plug and the wire is best. i think i got mine at napa. and test it next time it acts up. you have to try to narrow down the problem and not just throw parts at it, a think we are talking about an apposed 16 hp briggs twin does the carb have a wire going to a solonoid? might not be opening after it gets hot lay your hand on it and turn the key on and off and see if it clicks. also could be vapor locking heat builds after you turn off the engine and the fuel line is real close to the block might be boiling the gas you would have to be very carefull but when it happens pull off the fuel line and see if you get gas out of it just my thoughts

Hello 4xbill, My 6216 was doing the same thing, started up fine when cold but would not restart when hot. Checking for spark when hot yeilded a very weak yellow spark. Put a fresh magnatron coil on it and the problem dissapeared. My 2 cents, please value accordingly.

arnoldir It has a brand new coil I replaced that for the same reason you did. Fired right up(cold), mowed for an hour, went to restart and nothing but cranking. Thanks for the reply