Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wide tri-ribs

jdm

Does anyone have any experience with the wide tri-rib tires available now? I have a tractor which requires alot of steering effort now and wonder if this tire would help. I know in the narrower sizes it seems to make a big difference. Thanks

They make a big difference. I have a pair on a 2110. Most of the time they ride just on the center rib which is about 2" wide not sure I'd want to use them on the grass too much though.........

I bought a set of the wide ones for my 917. I have them mounted, but have not used the tractor yet. They are 4 ply tires, so were a little stiff to mount up. With them being stiff, my guess is they will not be very forgiving on turf.

After looking in the Miller Tire "Summer 2006" flyer I got this week I'm guessing when you say "wide tri-ribs" you mean 16/650-8. I didn't realize they made that size till you opened this post Jim. I'm sure these would steer much easier but like Reed says, they're bound to be rough on the lawn. I know the ribs on the big tractors tear things up unless you slow way down when turning. Even at that I want to put a set of the 4.00-8's on the front of one of my round hood AC's to match the Power Lug Carlisles. Ken I know what you mean about stiff tires, I had a terrible time getting the Power Lugs on the rims. Left them out in the hot sun,tried spreading the beads with wood spacers and still couldn't get the beads to reach the rims. Finally gave up and put tubes in to spread the beads out to meet the rims. Those were some STIFF sidewalls.

I put the narrow ribs on front of my 7117 and the 26x12x12 AG tires on the back. I do not have fluid in tires YET but planning on doing so. I do have weight on back wheels only. I was a little worried that they might tear up lawn. I have to turn and go up hill or turn and go down hill. The combo does not hurt lawn. With surf tires on I would spin going up hill. Not any more. And steering is remarkable easy compared to before. And I put the Legacy seat on tractor also, and it did wonders for the ride. My back used to hurt after mowing.

Ron I found the same thing on my 17GTH after I put an old set of Goodyear lugs on. I added a pair of 25# rear weights and even when the grass is wet it does far less damage to the yard. Glad to know the tri-ribs on the front don't tear up like I expected. Miller lists the wider ribs(16/650-8) at $65 each. At that price I'll leave the 17GTH as it is for mowing but I still plan on putting the 4.00-8 ribs on the B-10/16 and maybe the 3012V for the other work.

Have any of you tried your local independent tire store for your tri ribs? Nothing wrong with miller tire but my tire store will get me a pair of 4.00-8 tri ribs for $55 total mounted with tax. They have to order them but it only takes a week. JW

Power Track Lug by Carlisle 23x850x12 43.99 here in Muncie at Miller Tire [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/BarsLL.JPG[/img] Trans Master narrow tri bar 400-8 35.00. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/Tribar2.JPG[/img] Mounted easily and require 39 lbs of pressure. They are 4 ply. I set the beads with soapy water and took the valve stem out to get a higher volume of air in the tire fast. Took the tires to about 50psi to set the beads then bled off the excess pressure, water tanked the tires to check for leaks and that's all folks. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/LL11.JPG[/img]

Good choice on the tires Sean. They make a good lookin' tractor look a whole lot better.8D8D8D

Thanks guys. Dirtsaver-- Sorry I did'nt make my post clear. You knew exactly what I meant though. 16-6.5-8. Kinda pricey. I have the narrow tri- ribs on a couple of tractors and love 'em. I thought maybe being wider the steering advantage might not be the same. I have had no problems with tearing up the lawn, but I'm not too picky about that anyway.

Love the narrow tri ribs for a number of reasons. Traction, ease of steering and of course, the big tractor look. Just the difference between the turf tire and tri rib, the tri rib leaves nearly NO tracks, and to my surprise, neither do the power track lugs. I'm not sure I would be at all concerned with the wider tri ribs. You still have a smaller foot print than the old knobby stockers. I wouldnt think you would lose much if any ease of steering from the narrow tri ribs.My opinion only.

My narrow tri-ribs actually require more steering force at low speeds than do the wide turfs. Guess that is because of the additional traction that they have. Traction-wise the narrow tri-ribs are amazing compared to the wide turfs and narrow knobbys. The 4.00x8 tires that I have are definitely my choice for a front tire on any large frame tractor. Only time I would even think of buying another type of tire is for a front-end loader, which I would want a wide flotation tire on.

I have 4.00/ 8 and 3.5 /6 tri rib tires on two of my tractors and they work great. The tractor I'm asking about tires for, is, wrong color,off topic, has really tall back tires and the sort of ribbed smoothie front tires 16/6.50-8. I don't think the narrow tire would be appropriate and for sure would'nt fit the rim. Just wondering. Thanks to all.