Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plow Accessories

clyde

I was scanning thru e-bay and saw a Simplicity plow close by. (I don't need a plow, but it is so close I had to look!). The ad listed the model (990749) so I jumped over here and looked up the manual (Thanks Kent for that quick link, it is really handy). The Operators Guide shows two accessories for this I hadn't noticed before. The manual talks about the transport chain (it just holds the blade up so you can use a rear attachment):

But is the deflector like what's used for blowers? and would you really need one for a plow?

Just curious.

I like the transport chain idea. Been thinking of making something like that myself, especially for my RBTs with the cable and slip lifts. I don't see why the engine shield would be necessary unless you are in an area where you get lots of very dry snow. I have pushed snow with blades on my machines, and never needed this type of shield. Now on a blower, that is a different situation.

They made a clevis style transport device for the powermax's also. I think mainly you would need it on the 616/4040 models since they only had the single lift cyl. that you had to swap from front to rear when useing diff. attachments. This way you could leave to blade on and use the rear lift for something. I have one and it took me several days to figure out what it was.lol A mounth later when I looked in the manual it was in there.[:0] Speaking of this I just found this on ebay. This is the transport linkage for a powermax front blade.

The shield is used basicly to direct heat to the carborator area to prevent freeze up of the carb during cold weather use. At any temps around 32° and lower and the humidity level a bit high and these carbs will freeze up. I have never used a Shield/heat deflector or had any problems but I know people that have had problems with freeze up.

I too have never had a problem running without the heat shield - plowing or snowblowing. That said, it will probably happen for the first time this coming winter.[:0]

I've had freezing problems when running without deflectors. I've had the throat and linkage area of the carb freeze on a plowing tractor and I've also had ice form down around the governor linkage on a snowblowing tractor. The deflectors cure both problems, so I put them on every year on both my plowing and snowblowing tractors. That transport hook/chain does look handy to free up the front lift. I've also seen the tip in the Simplicity owners manuals to use an angled belly blade to move the little bit of snow you miss over so you can get it on the next pass, but that would work best with having a right hand lift lever and using both attachments at the same time.

Dave, I don't think that's the transport linkage. It's the actual lift arm that attaches to the cylinder. I'll have to go look