Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another problem

Mick14

I just replaced the head on a vertical 6hp., while i had it off i found the cylinder bore to be scored,It doesn't smoke or use oil.should i have it bored out now or can i wait till fall? its an aluminum engine if that matters. the scores aren't very deep,but you can feel them.I need this to finish out the summer and would rather buy another tractor than a new engine to get thru the season. Thanks, Mick

I think if it was mine I would hone the score marks out, if there is a ridge on top of cylinder , I would remove that also. Just make sure you flush out cylinder when done and oil walls

If you want to go that far to disassemble it,yes replace rings, but hone it and give it a cross hatch finish and the present rings should work until this fall. I'm just lloking to get mowing season done with out problems. And that is just my opinion I'm sure others have theirs

The plug hole was damaged beyond repair,already had the oversize adapter trick done to it.If i hadn't changed the head ,i would never have guessed about the scoring,i ran it for 2 hours today in wet grass,,,no problems. Thank you.

It has been my experience that a new set of rings will last a couple of years, maybe, in an aluminum bore. Honing aluminum is one of those things I never do, unless I have bored. If the engine is not using oil, put it back together, save yourself time and money.

Thanks Mr. Steele,thats what i'm going to do,we have the equip. at our shop to do the honing ,but for now ,i'm going the "if it works,don't fix it" route,since the scoring may have happened years ago.