Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Problem with shifting

Yes. That's a variable rate speed control. Not just a HI-LOW. Study the manuals you downloaded and you should get a better understanding of how it all is supposed to work and what all might be missing. Keep in mind that it may have been changed and stuff missing due to the fact that so much has been done to it prior to your ownership. These are faily common tractors with simular parts and wear problems. If I were you I'd be on the lookout for a parts tractor that might be more complete to use as a pattern and for parts.

I just tried the links again and they worked. Do you have Acrobat reader in your computer? This is not a high low system it is a variable system The belt is a wide belt and looks like a snowmobile belt. Both the front and rear pulleys are adjustable in and out. On a snow machine the drive/front pulley is centrifugal adjustable and rear is spring loaded. On this system both front/drive pulley and rear driven pulley are adjusted in and out manually with the variable lever. At slow speed the front pulley sides move out making it smaller and the rear pulley halves move in making it bigger. As you want to go faster the front pulley halves move together making the pulley bigger and the rear driven pulley halves move apart making the pulley smaller. There are seven positions in the variable lever this is for each gear in the manual shifter making 21 speeds forward and 7 reverse. One word of caution DO NOT MOVE THE VARIABLE LEVER WHEN ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING. The small pulley on bottom is the clutch pulley.

UCD- That makes a lot of sense. Thanks. :o) I do have acrobat reader on my computer. I do have a firewall installed and I do have a system that is very tweaked. So I'll have to try and download it through Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. (And turn off my firewall.) Unless, it's membership activated? Am sending a money order in the mail for membership.

quote:
Originally posted by dechatham
UCD- That makes a lot of sense. Thanks. :o) I do have acrobat reader on my computer. I do have a firewall installed and I do have a system that is very tweaked. So I'll have to try and download it through Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. (And turn off my firewall.) Unless, it's membership activated? Am sending a money order in the mail for membership.
Simplicity provides those for free -- it has nothing to with club membership. We just spread the word and make them easily accessed...

http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A.pdf That's the one I downloaded. If you see the blue hyper links in there... It's supposed to download other PDF files with the information in it. Those hyperlinks doesn't work for me. I tried disabling my firewall without luck, and tried Firefox. No difference... Either something's wrong with my computer, or you have an older copy with everything in it without a hyperlink.

Erick, I have the same problem as you in trying to download the sections of the B Series Manual and other manuals that are to download in sections. I don't know what causes the problem, but I have found that if I link to them from here that I can download them. Here are the links to the sections: [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A_SecA.pdf[/url] [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A_SecB.pdf[/url] [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A_SecC.pdf[/url] [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A_SecD.pdf[/url] [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A_SecE.pdf[/url] [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A_SecF.pdf[/url] [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A_SecG.pdf[/url]

Gregc- That definitely solved the problem. It worked. :o) I'd not have thought of that. I would think that perhaps the link coding meant to open an internet explorer browser screen, but only from an existing browser screen. That'd explain why it'd open in IE but not in Acrobat reader. I'm pleasantly overloaded with all the needed materials to know this machine inside and out. Appreciate that greatly. One of these days I'll contribute myself and help others as you have done for me. Erick

I'm having the same problem. When I rebuilt the bevel gear box on my tractor, I noticed that the plastic bearing that goes between the 2 halves of the drive pulley was demolished, I bought a new one. Put it on, it didn't grind at first but it does now. I dont have the belt gaurd. Didn't come with one when i inherited the tractor. Could this be why?

I'm no expert, but I would think so. Is there a drag? When you have the engine running, does the belt pull a little bit even if the clutch is on? If so, that might be the problem. Plastic... I'm surprised they'd put in plastic to start with. If possible, maybe you should go for a metal bearing and grease it. (Any thoughts on that, anyone?) From what I read in this forum and elsewhere, it does seem that the transmission issues are very common with these tractors. Must be the design flaw in these. Still love em though! Erick

When i have the clutch pressed in the belt is still spinning. Also that bearing is placstic. It's the exact part that belongs there. It it maybe 1/8 of an inch thick at the most. but yeah I think I need the belt guide.

That would be your problem right there... The belt shouldn't be spinning. (Others, please correct me if I am wrong) Is the belt tension tight when the clutch is pressed down fully? It should be loose... Only becomes tight when you take your foot off the clutch. RayS included a picture in this specific thread with directions on how to adjust that. Check out 5 and 5a in the diagram. It might help you? I think that the front pulley guard would make a difference, because it prevents the belt from sticking out 'right-wards', thus giving slack on the rear pulley. In your case, I think it'd be easy to fabriciate something like that just to hold it down for now until you locate the original parts. Driving the tractor with the gears slamming into each other isn't a good idea... Was wondering where did you locate your belt? I couldn't find the belt or the front variator pulley anywhere on ebay. Looks like I might have to go to a dealer and burn a hole in my pocket. I do have a really nice 12hp electric start '89 Craftsman tractor mower that runs great looks decent. Would trade that for a parts allis with a complete variator as well as some useable parts on it. But I'm sure there's nobody here on this site interested in a craftsman.

The purpose of the belt guards/stops is not so much keeping the belt on the pulley but to prevent the belt from turning when the clutch is depressed. The grinding when shifting is not a design flaw it is caused by people not reading there manual or knowing what they are doing removing the belt guard/stops when they replace a belt see no need for them and leave them off because it causes a pain in the neck when replacing the belts. The belt part # 164080 54" long type Hl 1" wide x ½" wide is only available from a Simplicity dealer, price around $50.00. Some of the variator parts are sill available from a dealer some are NLA. They are always coming up on eBay and you could also place a want ad in the classifieds here.

UCD- Thanks for the help. :) I'll locate a dealer and see what I can do from there. If that doesn't work, there's always parts tractors. I noticed on a picture of a B-210, on the right side- where the variator shifter is- right under there is a 1.5" slot. And in that slot, there seems to be some kind of tiny knob or bolt. What is that for? My slot doesn't have anything in it. Thanks again. :) Erick

quote:
Originally posted by dechatham
UCD- Thanks for the help. :) I'll locate a dealer and see what I can do from there. If that doesn't work, there's always parts tractors. I noticed on a picture of a B-210, on the right side- where the variator shifter is- right under there is a 1.5" slot. And in that slot, there seems to be some kind of tiny knob or bolt. What is that for? My slot doesn't have anything in it. Thanks again. :) Erick
That's your parking brake. It uses a threaded, L-shaped handle that screws in to "pinch" the brake rod and hold it down, once you've pressed the pedal down with your foot. You press the pedal down, slide the L-shaped handle to the rear of that slot, and screw the handle in... This picture, from when I was converting a variable to a hydro shows it down in there, underneath the speed control linkage rod. http://www.simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/full_tunnel_top.jpg