Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO Belt Help

Vinnie_A

After converting My 3210V Groved deck pully to a single one I ruined another idler pully and another PTO belt. A 29 inch PTO belt is seems too big and jams the idler pully into the pto pully on the bottom and the Bevel Gear pully on top and a 28 inch belt is too tight and will not work.The BVG pully on top is 4 1/2" OD the idler pully in the center is 3 1/2" OD and the PTO pully on the bottom is 4"OD. Is ther a wrong size pully here? The manual callsd for Sim belt # 157683 which the AC dealer did not have so he gave me a Stens belt which I tore up along with a Tractor Supply 29 inch belt. Will a oringinal Sim belt make this work or is there a wrong size pully here? Thanks, Vinnie

My B 10 and Hb 212 have the same size pulleys on both of them. They are: 5" on the BGB 3" idler 5" bottom of PTO I do have a Landlord 101 BGB here that has a 4 1/2" pulley on it but I don`t know about the PTO that goes with it. I will have to do some digging to find that. What condition is the idler pulley in? I use aftermarket belts on the PTO and have never had a problem with them.

There were several mid pto's used on the B-series over the years. Each had a matching gearbox pulley with the pulley on the pto shaft so the gear ratio stayed 1/1. You'll need to find the correct sized pullies to match up and you'll need to know whitch tractor they came off of so you can match up the corect belt for the new application. This should solve your belt problems as long as the bearings are good and the idlers aren't dragging or miss aligned.

A smaller idler pulley should allow you to use the shorter belt, and the idler not rub the bottom pulley. I had a similar proble with the Big Ten I assembled from parts... that was my fix.

The problem could also be the belt from the PTO to the mower deck. The distance between the BGB pulley and the PTO pulley changes as the PTO is moved forward or backward. If the cross belt is too long, the PTO will be too far rearward, and too short will put the PTO too far forward. I can't recall off the top of my head which way you'd need to go for your clutch belt to work properly. You may have to play with different combinations to see what works on your tractor. Pat

• 2 months later...
quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
After converting My 3210V Groved deck pully to a single one I ruined another idler pully and another PTO belt. A 29 inch PTO belt is seems too big and jams the idler pully into the pto pully on the bottom and the Bevel Gear pully on top and a 28 inch belt is too tight and will not work.The BVG pully on top is 4 1/2" OD the idler pully in the center is 3 1/2" OD and the PTO pully on the bottom is 4"OD. Is ther a wrong size pully here? The manual callsd for Sim belt # 157683 which the AC dealer did not have so he gave me a Stens belt which I tore up along with a Tractor Supply 29 inch belt. Will a oringinal Sim belt make this work or is there a wrong size pully here? Thanks, Vinnie
Sorry for the previous post. My question to Vinnie is? Did you ever get this belt issue resolved and what was the solution? I have a B210 which is the same machine. I rebuilt the PTO and need to buy a belt for it. the 157683 belt is listed as 29.2 inches, can I go with a standard 29" belt. Thanks for your response.