Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starts magically on its own

bebbenga

This is a 7016H, with 16 hp Briggs, it will start on it own with out the key being on ???? what to look for? I have the tiller on it, and stopped tilling and the tractor started by itself. The PTO was disengaged and tractor in neutral (Hyddroi). Also, the electric lift failed at the same time. Where should I start looking/checking? Bryan

It's definitely shorted. It's possible that a positive wire rubbed on the frame and the plastic wore off and the metal touched the negative. (Of which would be the frame) Either that, or it touched a hot spot on the engine and melted. Maybe it got pinched. You can follow the ignition wires from the ignition and see if any of them is touching each other (metal parts or exposed wire). Also make sure the terminals on the battery isn't touching any exposed wire. Another possibility is, your iginition itself is fried. You can unplug the ignition from the back and see if that did the job.

In my experience the solenoid shorted in side on the contact washer. These washers turn to prevent arching in the same spot each time solenoid is energized. It might not happen again and then again to could be continuous. Check the other problem areas noted above also.

I say make a remote control steering system for it so you can lay back and watch it mow your yard! LOL Elon

I had this happen on a 2110 with a 10 hp Briggs. There was a contact sticking in the voltage regulator, and the starter/gen. just kept cranking. Somehow, I think it actually initiated this behavior by itself, but I cannot now remember the details. If I'm not mistaken, some voltage regulators also have a contact on their bottom sides, which you can see once you remove them and/or get the regulator cover off.