Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

My Broadmoor died today

JeffNemes
Sounds like it's time to call your local dealer and have him investigate. Make sure the linkages going toward the rear are not clumped with grass and allowing free movement but the fact that there is/was a noise when the brake is released (and I assume the belt tensioned) indicates a drive train problem that could be a belt, pulley or trans problem. Is it possible that a stick could have gotten jammed up there? Do you have the foot pedal or dash lever control? Do you wash off the tractor regularly with a garden hose?

Al
Hi in addition to above, Depending on the model run, there were a few Broadmores that the brass tipped setscrews in the pulley on the hydro weren't torqued correctly. If you have one of these the pulley may be stripped out. About a year ago, the company sent a service bulletin to all dealers asking them to check the torque on these screws in all tractors on hand within a certain serial number range. I would not be surprised if this is what happpened. If it is in a 99 model, it should be a warranty repair. If this is what happened the pulley will need to be replaced, the shaft on the hydro is so hard it will not be damaged. I have seen a couple of these, and your symptoms sound like that could be the problem. There were not a lot of tractors in this group, it was like part of a one day run. I believe it was caused by an air torque wrench on the line that failed. Good luck, Al

There I was on a beautiful Autumn day mowing my back yard on the diagonal when the Broadmoor began making the most awful noise and didn't want to move much. I shut it off and looked underneath (as if I knew what to look for) and everything seemed normal there. I fired her back up and as soon as I released the brake, the noise began. I was able to go a few more feet toward the garage when no forward progess was possible. Has anything like this happened to other Broadmoor owners out there? This machine was purchased new this spring. I believe it is a 1999 model. Been loving it until today. Any input is appreciated.