Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

26x12x12 vs. 23x10.5x12 Lug tires on Ultima

Deutz1920

I am ready to get some lug tires and currently have a spare set of rims on my spare for parts Deutz Ultima. Been watching ebay for complete wheel but if they are not driving distance to pick up it's costly. My question: do I buy 23x10.5x12 lugs new for about $140 shipped to my door. Or do I wait for the next set of used 26x12x12 Lugs on wheels on ebay. From what I see it will be about $220-$260 used, shipped to my door. How much better is it to have 26" wheels vs. 23". is it worth that much more. Oh, I will probably have to pay $20 to mount the 23", so about $160 new on original OEM wheels or someones slightly used 26"for about $250. I am leaning to the new tires just because there new but the tractor looks pretty cool with the 26" thanks to some pic's posted on my last post. Thanks for all the info on my last post and this one. Mark

Do you have a 60" deck? If you don't the 26x12x12 will not work with the other decks. 26x12x12 tires will make the tractor faster but with less pulling power.

If wider is all you're looking for, you can get Carlisle Super Lugs in 23x12x12, instead of just 10.50s: http://www.carlisletire.com/products/big_biters/superlug/index.html I saw 24" lugs (24x12x12) somewhere recently, but can't remember where...

If you'll carefully measure the offset in the back and make sure these would fit, they appear to be a pretty good deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7629559664&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT [img]http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/9d/8b/ab_1.JPG[/img] A pair of new 4-ply 26x12x12 Carlisle Power Tracs, mounted on wheels for $186 plus shipping. I have 23x10.50x12 Power Tracs on my PT-425 and really like them -- they set very flat on the ground, without rounded shoulders. These are from Tucker Tire -- good company -- you can trust them. Of course, you'd want to paint those JD yellow wheels... :D

Thanks for all the info, Yes I do have the 60' deck. Did I get this correctly the 23" tires will have better pull but not increase the speed ? The 26" make you go faster but have less pull? The tires on ebay look great, i will measure my rims to see if the will work. I dont want the tires to stick out past my 46" snow blade. Thanks Mark

Mark, your 20hp tractor with hydro... you will NOT be able to preceive a power difference, but you will have a faster top speed.

Kent: "If wider is all you're looking for, you can get Carlisle Super Lugs in 23x12x12, instead of just 10.50s" That is an error on their web page. If you look at the Mounted Diameter or the PDF file for the web page you will see that is a 26" tire. They have had other errors on their website, such as the one that ended up with me ordering and shipping a set of tires becasue they had the wrong part number on them. I ordered a set of Tru Power AT but the web page had the non-AT part number for the tire. The PDF file for the page had the correct number. I reported it to them and it looks like it is fixed now.

quote:
Originally posted by 2burning
Kent: "If wider is all you're looking for, you can get Carlisle Super Lugs in 23x12x12, instead of just 10.50s" That is an error on their web page. If you look at the Mounted Diameter or the PDF file for the web page you will see that is a 26" tire. They have had other errors on their website, such as the one that ended up with me ordering and shipping a set of tires becasue they had the wrong part number on them. I ordered a set of Tru Power AT but the web page had the non-AT part number for the tire. The PDF file for the page had the correct number. I reported it to them and it looks like it is fixed now.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was going by their specs, and just assuming that these were tires used primarily by tractor pullers, who seem to go for width...

Well I went for the 23", I ordered them from Tucker Tire on Wednesday and they just got delivered Today...Amazing. I got the Tru Power AT for $150 for the pair delivered. Cant wait to put them on. I see someone won the 26" on rims and got them for $150 + shipping $50. That might of been a better route for me but I was concerned about the wheels, they were listed as "THIS IS THE TIRE PREFERRED BY TRACTOR PULLERS AND FITS DITCH WITCH , some CASE AND VERMEER TRENCHERS RIMS ARE 6 IN. BACK SPACING 5 HOLE ON 4 1/4 IN. WITH A 3 1/8 IN PILOT HOLE WILL FIT MANY APPLICATIONS." 5 Hole 4 1/4 I thought the bolt pattern was 5 hole 4 1/5 inch for Simplicity. Am I wrong? Would those wheels on Ebay fit my Ultima? Oh well got my tires today and they will be mouted first thing tomorrow.

Yes, Tucker does provide great service. I think I've ordered 4 pairs of tires through Jim. I think you'll be pleased with them... but we want to hear your feedback!