Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Squeaking Sound

Promise, this is my last thread for the night. The squeaky sound that I've almost gotten use to on my P'max did not go away after replacing the main clutch shaft bearings. I was certain that was the source of it. But it didn't go away and now I'm convinced that it's coming from the rear axle. Come to think of it, the sound is almost like the one made when the parking brake is left on. Any ideas?

Beeser: I don't know the history here, or if you've posted before, so forgive me if this has been discussed: have you used a mechanic's stethascope on this yet? A mechanic's stethascope has the same ear pieces as a medical one, but in place of the round pad of a doctor's 'scope, it has a long, thin rod, with which you can reach down into the crevices and tight areas of machinery. You wouldn't BELIEVE how well you can hear noises with one of these! Others will say "Oh yeah, I can do that with a long screw driver," and you can, by pressing it to one ear. But you can't easily see what you're doing that way, and the effect is not as good. Not by half, in my opinion. I have diagnosed more noises with my stethascope than I can remember. I think I paid about $20. for mine, but I've seen them for $10., before. It will allow you to at least identify the major component the noise is coming from, if not the exact source. I highly recommend this tool, as you can tell. In your situation, I'd probably put the tractor up on secure jack stands, with an assistant to run it, and crawl all over it with the 'scope. I bet you'd identify the general area from where the noise was coming from in about a minute. Best of luck! Peter

quote:
Originally posted by StanD
Bearing in rear PTO clutch????
Don't have a rear PTO. Actually the mating flange to the clutch is there along with all of the transmission inards but no clutch or drive shaft.

A long piece of gas line hose or vacuum line hose will work 98% as good as a mechanics stethoscope. Peter notice I said 98% as good. I have a mechanics stethoscope but use the hose method because it is longer and can get to more out of the way places.

I tried elevating the rear of the tractor with the engine running in gear but couldn't duplicate the sound. It only happens with it on the ground and intermittent at that. How about having my wife drive the tractor with me following close by with a rubber hose stuck in my ear. Video anyone?

quote:
Originally posted by StanD
Sure it isn,t the tie rod rubbing on the u shaped support? Easy to overlook too!
Don't know but I'll take a look at it. Maybe some grease on the contact surface? BTW, what is the inside dimension between flanges on the U-shaped part? The lower flange on mine droops a bit.