Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stupid Question...

Blu

I know I know...coming from Blu what else COULD it be??:D Im trying to makea an old rear engine rider a sort of campground scooter for myself. I cant walk very well period at this point, or too far or long, so I think this just might be the trick as its EZ to get on and off of. (May end up putting a little trailer behind it too to haul the Grandkid) Id like this thing to be just a tad faster though.Its an 11 HP Huskee witha 5 speed trans. Question is which way do I go here?? I did this years ago to an old Wheel Horse just for kicks, but I cant recall which end to put the big/little pulleys on. Is it the Little pulley on the engine and big on the rear or vice versa to make it faster?? Its doesnt have to do 30 mph or anything, but something better than maybe 3-5 mph at full throttle would be good. Other suggestions, hints, tips appreciated.:) Thanks in advance, Randy:)

You can do either one as far as to which pulley you swap. Go bigger on the engine or smaller on the tranny to get a faster ground speed. If you don't want much change I'd swap the tranny pulley first and try it. Swapping both will get you faster real quick.

Randy, big on drive small on rear end. So 6" on the motor and 3" will make the tranny imput turn 2RPM for every engine rpm. And by the way there are no stupid questions in my world the only stupid thing is to not know and not ask. Good Luck JW

THANKS Guys!:) For the life of me I just couldnt recall. Dave , I know what ya mean about "faster real quick". I did that (both pulleys) on the Wheel Horse and that thing would do 30 plus MPH. Trouble was the stering made it VERY unstable and it would scare the bejeesus outta ya![:0]:D John, Thanks for the 2-1 explanation. Makes sense now!;) Think Ill just try and get a few of gradually smaller sized ones for the tranny. (its really easy to get too) and try a few of em out. You think like an 1" smaller would make a pretty decent difference?? THANKS VERY MUCH!!8D

You go smaller on the reae axle and bigger on the motor to increase speed. try going 2" smaller and 2" bigger and maybe you can still use your old belt.I went 3"bigger and 7"smaller on a 627yeoman and got about 25 mph out of it . Good luck and have fun

"2" smaller and 2" bigger and maybe you can still use your old belt." Now THATS a GREAT thought there!!:)8D Thanks Bud!!;) Ohh...itll be fun fer sure! I know the grandson's gonna LOOOOVE it!!;)8D

With a RER the belt size is small and getting the right combination is going to be tricky to retain clutch action. Hopefully that is a belt to disc drive set-up and the clutch action is in the disc which makes it alot easier.

Going up 2 and down 2 may be alot more than what you want. An example If both pulleys are 10 inches going up 2 and down 2 makea a net change in ratio of 1.5 so a 5 MPH unit would now go 7.5 MPH you can kind of use that as a guide. I hope that helps. jw

Remember guys, that when dealing with a pulley you can compare 2"s added to a small pulley and 2"s away from a large pulley still won't equal out the belt length due to the belt contacts to outside diamiter of the pulley. As the puleey size increases the diamiter of the pulley and therefor the belt contact area go up exponietially. Just more to think about.