Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor pulling design

I have a friend who would like to setup his son to be able to do a tractor pull at a fair. I don't know the fair he's going to so I can't answer those questions now, what I'd like to know is the following: 1. Some general tips for setting up a tractor. 2. If it's a stock tractor pull, do they still require the wheelie bar? 3. If it's a stock tractor pull can you still use a reduction pulley setup? I guess what are the normal specifications for keeping a tractor "stock". 4. What type of tires are best? Are wider tires better? 5. Any reference links on this you might recommend. Thanks in advance... note: I searched this site for "Tractor Pulling" and got these links: Some good pictures: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38000&SearchTerms=tractor,pulling Discussion on weight sleds: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7193&SearchTerms=tractor,pulling

If they don't require wheele bars put them on anyway, These tractor can turn over in a blink.BE SAFE. Most rules won't allow you to add reduction but you can use anything the tractor may have came with even if its an option. Larger diameter tires are mostly better try for the largest OD allowed by the rules. Width of tires depends on the track and what weight class you will pull in, most times light class narrow tires heavy class wide tires. Ag tires seem to do best on everything but super hard tracks or pavement. Set the tractor up so you have weight to move from back to front or reverse if needed, this allows flexability based on track conditions. Most important is to have fun!!!! winning is a plus but just doing something with your son or a young adult is the best reward. I can loose every pull but having my son or grandson out there with me pulling makes me a winner every time. Quality time working on the tractor, pulling and trying new things is the greatest reward for a family team, a $3 trophy will fade with time the the menories wil be alive and in color forever. My 2.5 cents worth. JW

Here is one of the best sites I have found for information of all types concerning garden tractor pulling. http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/index.htm

Thanks... I just picked up a 725 which looks like they had it setup for pulling, will read that site to see what's needed. This 725 has brackets welded on to add weights to the back and the front. Obviously for pulling.

Michael, Remember one thing. The rules are very different as you go from one promoter to another. I posted the SVTPA rules only as a rough guideline. They have some of the tightest rules and strictest enforcement in the country. They have been associated with NTPA, ATPA, and now Pro Pulling. You absolutely need to get a copy of the rules for the local promoter who is putting on the pulls that you wish to participate in. While we were pulling, we ran in events from at least 6 different organizations. I think that every time we pulled with a different group, we had to change something on the tractor. Wheelie bars are absolutely necessary for safety. Use the largest size tires allowed. Two ply if available, because you need to be able to vary tire pressure to make them tire bite on different surfaces. A track will actually change week to week. Also you want short cleats. Many organizations will not allow tire cutting, so do not buy tall cleats. They bite too deep, break off a lot of dirt, and pile it up in front of the sled. 1/2 inch of lug height is totally sufficient. I have never had pulley sizes checked at any event we ever participated in. In fact, most pullers carried a selection of pulleys with them and would switch to go to the heavier classes. You always want to pull at the maximum forward speed that the tractor can maintain. When we were pulling an AC 716 with 16 Hp Kohler and 3-speed tranny and 10.5 tires, we usually ran 3rd gear with the stock pulleys, in the 900 lb class. Later, when they reduced the engine size for that class to 14 Hp, we had to change the pulleys. Not enough power for 3rd and 2nd was too slow.