Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 rough running after warm up.

blondie

Hi guys I have a B10 that I can dialin pretty well but once I run it for a while it throttles up and down erratically - I dont think its the govenor control because the shaft isnt moving while this happens. The carb adjustments really dont change a thing while its going on and its very diffucult to restart after it finally does stall. I pulled the head thinking I had a bad head gasket but it seemed fine. ANy ideas out there ?

Check valve tolerances. Many times they'll be okay while cool, but after they get hot they swell and go out of spec. Just a thought.

Check for worn bushings on the throttle plate (butterfly) shaft in the carb. They get worn, and the carb sucks air in around the shaft, making it impossible to set and maintain carb settings... Kits are available to replace the bushings... Also check to make sure that it is not leaking air (vacuum) around the carb to manifold and manifold to head fittings. That will have similar symptoms.

Bruce,try what Kent suggested,also check the gasket where the carb meets the block,if thats leaking it can cause the same problem.