Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

many THANKS for Sunstar info more questions

edbee

Thanks to all of you for your help! It is invaluable having access to several decades (or even centuries?) of Simplicity expertise!! The more I fiddle with the Sunstar, the more I am impressed. Overbuilt to beat the band! Some of the maintenance accessibility leaves room for improvement, but that just makes for character building and man-machine bonding! A frew more quick questions and comments: 1. Local Simplicity salesman looked up the original owner's records, and said it was sold new in 1997, based on engine/frame numbers that is hard to believe....but may explain low hours (585). 2. According to the Simplicity info I have seen both the hydro unit and the transaxle use type F ATF. Simplicity manual says to drain hydro unit by removing hose, but there is a drain plug in the bottom of the transaxle. Will removing the drain plug from the hydro unit drain both transaxle and hydro unit? 3. Simplicity info also makes reference to 8 oz of gear oil for the right angle unit, am I correct in assuming this is for the mower? 4. Tires size numbers: 23 x 10.50 x 12. I assume 23 is tire OD, 10.50 is tire width, and 12 is rim diameter. Is this correct? Saw a Legacy with 26 x 12 x 12 (same size was a Sunstar option), looked great, also noticed the wheel P/Ns were different for the larger Sunstar tire option. Will the larger tire fit on the standard size wheel that I have? Any recommendations on low priced tire vendors? Northern has standard size but not the oversize that I want. 5. WITom, do you have any pictures or P/Ns for the air induction plenum that you wrote about. Sounds like a great addition. Thanks again to all of you. If I can figure out a use for this beast, its a keeper! edbee PS also love the signature! "To pursue the unattainable is insanity, yet the thoughtless can never refrain from doing so!" - Marcus Aurelius I'll post a few of my own at a latter date!

Edbee; go to the home page and look for the MFT# box on the right side and type your 169# in and down load the manuals, this will answer a lot of your questions. You can also go to the simple tractors dropdown and use the quick referance sheet for years with the 169#s.^

Edbee - Pic of upper air induction plenum: [IMG]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7453/p10100409ld.jpg[/IMG]