Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

b-212 engine problems

SethL007

brought home a b-212 and cannot get it running correctly. new points, new condensor, carb cleaned, fuel tank cleaned, new gas, new fuel shut off valve with screen, new spark plug and it will still not run right. it runs really rough and no matter how much you adjust the carb it wont get any better. i have 9 other b series garden tractors so i THOUGHT i knew just about everything about these things. I was WRONG!!! when it does run it smokes quite a bit. not from oil b/c it is black. please help!!!

Black smoke says running too rich for whatever reason. Did you check the float for leaks and put a new needle and seat in the carb when you cleaned it? Is frustrating but you may need to recycle your carburetor efforts. Something is letting too much fuel in. Could also be an intermittent ignition problem. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some other options to solve the problem. Good luck,

I had a similar problem and it seemed to get worse. If you cannot get any changes by turning the needles in or out and it runs too rich/lean you may need a carb kit due to a clogged jet or vacuum leaks. You should be able to notice a difference with each 1/8 turn of the needles. Nick

This maybe as simple as a blocked bowl vent or a leaky float, semi block needle valve? If your fuel lines are cracked and dry on the outside they maybe falling apart on the inside clogging up the inlet needle valve. Most likely it is a problem in or about the carb but it could be a weak spark or bad plug. If you can turn the main carb adjuster all the way in and it still runs I would say it's definitly in the carb. Another test is if you get it running and shut of the fuel supply and it starts to run good till it runs out of gas thats another sign it's the carb and not a weak spark.