Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomF

Mystery engine problem on A-C Big Ten

richp
I had this problem on my landlord and it ended up being the points/condenser. It seemed to have plenty of spark, but apparently not. It seem's every time i get gas dripping from full choking it, i look for ignition problems. Hope it helps. Rich P.

TomF
We have an A-C Big Ten (1965) that we parked 2 months ago to fix the rear axle seal. It ran fine when we parked it. Now the seal is fixed, but it won't run. We are getting a good spark and tried a new plug. The plug looks dry, so we don't think it's getting gas to the cylinder. When we crank it over while choked, the gas eventually starts dripping from the bottom of the carb assy. The gas line appears to be open. Our next guess is to take the carb off and clean it. Any recommendations at this point? Is there something else we should try before diving into the carb? What might we look for? We really appreciate your insights! Tom & Peter Feldpausch

JeffNemes
I agree with Ritch - the points may just have a film of moisture on them. Try pulling a lint-free paper through them. The spark plug should only have a glisten on it - if it is "wet" where you can shake off a drip of fuel it is getting flooded. If it is "bone" dry the float may have stuck shut. Do you have a fuel shut-off valve that you may have forgotten to open?

Hi! usually if the engine is getting spark and fuel the only thing left may be compression. Try turning it over by hand if you can to see if you feel the compression. It could have a valve stuck open from setting around. Also listen for a popping sound when cranking the engine. This could be an indication of a stuck valve also. Hope this helps!