Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 17GHT-L (Kohler flat twin) question

bigkenroberts

The local repair shop has a well-used 17GTH-L with a Kohler flat twin Model M20S 49544. They've fixed it a cuplr times and do have some history. Owner says "sell it". Someone told me that the Kohlers were splash oil systems and had diffulty with slope surface grass work. My current Allis 716H has a Briggs (yes Briggs) and I like what I have. This unit looks well-used, but from what I can tell - just grass work. What are the issues - - -

Most 17 GTH-L that need motor replacement go with Briggs single 16 HP. The Kohler is a smooth motor. I'd say buy it and switch motors.

My opinion is 50/50. 50% last a long time, 50% self destruct. The owners swear by them or swear at them. B.R.

Well - if the price is right - I have nothing to lose. Otherwise it's a long trip to Indiana - - - Allis/Simplicity is real scarce in VA/MD/DE/NC. The owner has left it at the repair shop for 4 weeks - so - maybe it'll go.

Sort of found out what I needed from the Kohler site. The M20S is a 20HP Kohler Twin full-pressure engine. That helps.