Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Datac

Rear Lift Questions

Datac
Greetings, Well, after 11 years of faithful service, (to me) My trusty 725 and I are about to part ways (sniffle,sniffle). I just can't keep her around seein' how I picked up a 3415H to replace her. (hope she ain't too mad) I wish I had the space and time to collect tractors, but it isn't working out that way, and it won't be the first one I have lost. I have mostly used it for my snow removal via the 46" blade and some occassional landscape work with the center blade and a homemade 5' rear blade/scarifier thingy. Seems the tractor is always "borrowed out" to one of my friends. Anyhow, My problem, I so far, do not like the "pull to lift" method for lifting the rear attachment. For one, I can't put a weight on the back to help lift the snowblade (and my transfer bucket), and I also lost the ability to put a little "power down" on that rear blade. Has anyone put a solid rod in place of the cable, like the old tractors had it? I realize One would need to weld in the new links on the main handle shaft to attach the front to. Sure would like to do this. I am pretty sure that I will remove the existing footrests and replace them with something like the earlier machines as well. I can't get my legs outside of the running boards to "power down" the grader blade without discomfort. This being my first "hydro", seems I am short on hands as well !! I might miss my old gear drive..... Your input appreciated, Chris Luebke

powermax_paul
Chris, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that misses the features you mentioned. I like my AC B-1 better than my new Sovereign just for some of the lost features you pointed out. But, the Sovereign power is wonderful. Roy

Al
Chris, I don't think you can get a solid rod in, but you may want to try. You might easily get the rear attachments to lift by pushing instead of pulling (getting you the counter balance for the front blade or snow blower by attaching the rear lift cable (to a link) on the front side of the lift shaft instead of the back. You will find that this pull system with the cables and pulleys is much easier to lift the deck and rototiller than the older direct connect. There is no difference to the front attachments except they now have a spring loaded lift arm (for obstacles) because the lift quandant has notches and does not free float. Good luck, MS. PS. Once you go hydro, you'll never go back.

Datac
Thanks for the input fella's ! The hydro leaves me always a hand short it seems. I can't pull up a blade, keep steering and control speed by slipping the clutch like I used to. I can see problems flying down the sidewalk this year with my snowblade on as I have always kept my hand on the Lift Handle, gently pulling backwards in turn helping the blade ride up over those little cracks that have the tendency to stop your forward motion ever so quickly. I do have the corners rounded up on the blade already but maybe not enough. One problem I have is a jerkyness when I do use the clutch to slow the pump speed. I think I will switch the pulleys over to cast units because I think the sheet metal ones may be bent a bit. Hopefully my jerkyness will smooth out. On another note, this weekend I had a brainstorm in that the "Dual handle" should really be next to the existing handle on the left side of the machine, especially on the Hydro units. This handle would be used with a rod to strictly lift the rear lift. I am going to scope it out as soon as I find some time. Thanks, Chris Luebke

BradW
Actually, I beg to differ about going from hydro to gear. I personally love my old geared B-10 and B-112 than my new simplicity, they had more pushing and pulling power, also the b-112 was nice with the varible speed for cutting, I could actually cut faster on gear. -BradW