Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
portuncia

B-112, Just moved to the new 4.72 acres

portuncia
mowed for the first time this week, glad I checked the oil before using it again to move tools and such; was a 1/2 quart low. Seemed to smoke a bit more when mowing so I assume the engine is a bit worn and burning oil. Other than that it starts and runs fine. Is this a huge cause for concern, I am ignorant when it comes to these engines. In your opinion will it need a total rebuild or something less. Can I continue to run her this summer just checking and adding oil as necessary until I can do some work on it this winter. Thank for all of the help. Jeff

maxtorman1234
I wouldnt worry about it yet, I would wait until it either smokes too much to bear, or when you have time to throw rings in it. Just keep adding oil and it'll be fine for a while.

maxtorman1234
All you have to do is pull the motor, remove the head and oil pan, undo the connecting rod, remove piston and rod from the top, and carefully hone the cylinder with a peice of cardboard wrapped around the bottom of the cylinder so nothing gets in the engine. Scrub the cylinder with warm water & soap, dry and carefully remove everything that got inside the engine where the cardboard did not cover, with a rag. Then remove old rings from the piston, install new ones, put the piston & rod assembly in the engine, put the rod in the right direction, torque, then install head and oil pan and reinstall in tractor. You must be very careful and remove all traces of material left behind that got in the engine. You might as well check everything while the engine is apart. I'd make sure the rod looks good, measure the crankpin, remove and lap the valves in, and set the clearances. New points wouldnt be a bad idea either.

powerking_one
Graham, With this kind of "clean-up" and contamination "protection" advice from honing the cylinder for a re-ring operation to Jeff, I think we know now how your last Briggs CI single crankshaft ball bearing failed. With a motor that old, it really needs to be completely disassembed, the block and all internal parts solvent cleaned (after boring or honing), and resealed with all new gaskets & oil seals. I would doubt the motor is currently leak or seepage free anyway. IMHO, Tom(PK)