Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear PTO electric clutch assy trouble 9020

wthanel

Hi all, Per a previous post I just couldn't wait to get home and try to get my newly purchased Sim 9020 with Sears bucket running. Tried turning the engine over with no luck again and choking didn't help. Finally I pulled one spark plug, not flooded. I tryed pouring just a little gas down the spark plug hole and bang the old sim sputtered to life. Guess my choke is not working, I could also have some fuel starvation issues. I still had quite a vibration so I decided to pull off the cover below the operators feet and take a look. Oddly the rear PTO switch was not working. The rear PTO shaft was turning all the time. Once the cover was off I could see the problem. The whole electric clutch was spinning around with the wires torn off. The book says there shouldn't be more than .025 inch run out on the shaft I believe. I must have .125 at least,$$$. In the interest of getting the tractor going without spending an arm and a leg I am considering just taking the shaft/clutch assy out for now so I can use the tractor with bucket this summer. Just a few questions: What is the best way to get to the front of the electric clutch shaft so it can be removed, remove he console tin? Will the tractor work okay without the rear electric PTO shaft. Knowing that of course I will not be able to use the rear PTO? Could this vibrating shaft assy have damaged another part of the tractor, if so what? Does anyone have a good used Sim 9020 rear PTO shaft assy for sale? Thanks, Bill T. wthanel@yahoo.com

Down load the manual first. You can run without the shaft without problems. If you have fuel problems be sure to check the pump as it can leak into the crankcase. Mine are fussy about points and timing.

You have to raise the dash tower to get the shaft out and the seat off. Just remember to rebolt the pully to the engine for the clutch. The bolt that holds the clutch from turing must have came out of the frame or chain broke.

As for your rear PTO may I suggest you take it apart and remove the bearings. Go to you local bearing supplier for replacements. The field coil can be purchased from J.Thomas Distributor, (800) 828-7980. Part number: 5208-101-056, About, $109.00 plus shipping. The above might come with a bearing, can't remember.

The easiest way to disconnect the rear shaft for the PTO is to pull the oil cooler out of the way, and unbolt it from the double pully on the engine, and the plastic discs that the drife shaft yoke bolts too, I reomoved my yoke, and have the shaft and pto still attatched...this should take 1/2 at most and then you cna use the tractor without further damage to the driveshaft or pto