Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JimV

front pto problem on AC710

JimV
I am having trouble with my front pto,if I engage it the pully turns very slow and seems only half engaged.It also gets very hot.is it sticking somewhere?I can pull it apart but I'm hoping it is a quick fix. thanks for any advice you might have Jim V.

richp
From your description, it sounds like it's slipping. Check for bent, rusted, or binding linkage and readjust per your manual. Does the pulley spin freely when disengaged? Is the pulley bearing making noise?

JeffNemes
They can be sticky coming apart. If it is an electric PTO check for full voltage and also the air gap (.010-.015) and if not that probably the field coil is shorted. You need to find the MFG ohms spec to verify. If mechanical it may be the large spring has broken a coil, pulley sheave is worn/split or a bearing is starting to seize.

Kent
If your front PTO is mounted to the engine crankshaft, pull apart and check the clutch material. FYI, I have had the clutch relined at an brake & clutch auto place.

SmilinSam
From past experiences I have had it sounds like it could either be one of two things A) the Spring that forces the drum against the drive hub is damaged, loose, or worn- or B) As Bill C stated, the clutch linings are worn out.