Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Get Slime just incase you get a flat.....

Having a lawn mowing bussiness I seem to be getting a nail here or a screw there in a mower. I have tried all the quick fix flat repairers in a can and just never had any luck with them regardless of the brand. Here comes "Slime" a super duty tire sealant that with claimed seal a 1/4" hole in the tread of a tire. I have been using it for about 4 months now on about 6 flat tires and can say I am impressed that it actually worked on 5 out of the 6 flats. Its seems that my mowers get the flats more this year because I have alot more new accounts with new building and I am always getting stuck with nail or drywall screw or some good size spikes. No more trying to plug the tire to have the plug pull out later just let the air out and install the slime in the tire reinflate the tire and watch the green slime slowly sipe out and seal the nail or screw hole. Its not cheap but when time and labor counts or convenice its nice to know something works. Also you can as I have been doing install the slime in tires that don't have flats yet and it will protech and reseal small holes as you are mowing. I found Slime at Murrys auto parts but other places carry it to. One more thing is that I had installed fuild in some of my tires for weight and found it will not work in them and its not fun watching $$$ leak out on the ground so wheel weights are now in use on certain mowers. Braden

Ishmael2k
I am not familiar with "Slime" but if it works at all like any of the other "Fix a Flat" remedies I would stay away from it. The ones I am familiar with all use a chemical to actually soften the inside of the tire. Needless to say this causes havoc when you go to remove the tire from the rim only to find it has been "melted" on. Plus add to the fact that a lot of them are extremely flamable even after they have been in a tire. (Just ask any tire dealership what they think when they get one that has been "fixed" to change!!) I am not saying that "Slime" is like this or bad but I'd do some research. Hate to see you ruin a set of rims.. My .02 worth.. Rob

Slime is a latex based product and does not contain any harmfull chemicals that eat paint or rubber. Infact it states if ingested it may cause stomach discomfort or diarrhea and in which case you may need to see a doctor. I did alot of research before using this product and read many comments from the news media and different car and truck magizines to which stated "Slime" is the best thing to be invented sence the spare tire. It is not an inflator but a tire sealer or puncture preventor. It is sold in some places with C-O2 containers so that you can inflate a tire out in the woods such as an ATV or even a truck tire. A person just has to make sure you have the correct size container so as it Slime can work properly in other words not enough Slime and it can't get the job done. Being latex based it never hardens but stays soft and can be cleaned out of the tire with soap and water if needed. If you are going to buy a new tire it Slime is to be installed before the tire is balanced for best results. It is not intented for use it a tire to be used over 75 miles perhour. Just some more info incase you needed it. P.S. I think the reason its called "SLIME" is because it comes in a see through clear plastic container and it is a Lime Green in color and really it does look like Green Slime. Branden