Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4211-H Question

Suavy

I just purchased a used Simplicity 4211-H tractor. They guy I bought it from said it works but we couldn't get it started. I brought it home and pressure washed the whole thing. Evacuated the old gas and carb bowl. Filled it with fresh gas and it started. However, when I tried to engage the tranny the built busted. I chalked it up to the pressure washing. Got new belts and installed them now the tractor will not drive? I looked under the tractor and the belt seems tight and all the pulleys are moving and there doesn't appear to be any slipage. Is it possible to have the belt on wrong? Making the tranny turn backwards? Do you all think the tranny is shot? thank you & God Bless, Suavy

Is the transmission engaged or is it in neutral? The transmission engagement lever is located under the seat. It must be in the full rear position for the trans to be engaged. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/gregc/lever2.jpg[/img] Also it is possible to have the belt on wrong. See the belt diagrams and discussion in this topic: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66170

1st, what Greg said. I've got a 4211-H (now its a 4214.5-H) and make sure the belts are on right. They have an odd twist on them. Check the manual. FYA the belt was probably old and I've had to replace all of mine. Mike

Suavy - When I picked up my 4211, the transmission control lever was stuck. Cleaning resolved the issue. Maynard posted some good pics of belt positions in a my first post to the group. Lotsa good info there. Also make sure all the linkage is secure coming off the transmission. The control shaft on the bottom of the transmission is keyed. If the key is missing everything will look right, but the linkage will not move the control shaft.

One other thought, make sure your axle key is installed. Without it the wheels wont turn even though the axel is turning. If you took off your rear wheels this could be the problem. No, don't ask me how I know....LOL Mike AC 7114 H Simplicity 4211-H (4214.5) Cub 124 Hustler

Thank you everyone, I am going to get in to the issue more tomorrow on my day off. I will check all the things you all suggested. I will post a reply by Monday and let everyone know what I found out. Thanks again and God Bless, Suavy

Well I found out that I didn't have the tranny actuator under the seat set right. Got that taken care of and my first time driving it forward with the cutting deck removed the tractor popped a wheely that I wish my race truck would do! Got every thing set up using the manula that I down loaded from Simplicity (thank you everyone for suggestin that) and it runs great now. All I need is a new front grill and a middle deck roller and it's like brand new. God Bless, Suavy