Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Possible Powermax

mhaubner

I have the opportunity to get a Powermax. Includes 60 deck and 54" snow blower. Price seems very fair. My question is what to look for on this tractor as potential deal killers. Major indicators of looming problems. Like I said the price is right. The rear PTO is disconnected and this seems to be a common yet repairable situation. Anything else I should be looking for. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as I do not have any experinace with this model. Thanks in advance for your help.

tanman722001
The rear drop houseing seal go bad sometimes and make the brakes not work right.The engine sometime loose power too.and the front axle get woren and has some play in them.But all this can be fixed.Im sure there is other thing to look at.Tony

Thanks Tony. Just got back from looking at it. Charging system does not work, engine mounting bolts are loose, and the drop housings are wet. But the overall condition of the tractor is good. Guy who has it has had it for 18 years and took pretty good care of it. always garaged and has maintance records and all receipt and manuals. He is asking around 1300 for it. I think for the condition it would be a good deal considering it needs some work.

tanman722001
Yea I think it would be too.With the blower and deck if they are in good shape too.Tony

Deck was just rebuilt with new bearings, shafts and blades. Snow blower was used 2 seasons and stored in the back of the garage. All parts for implements seem to be there. I was able to cut some grass with it and seemed to cut level and not much whining or screaching from deck. Not sure what it should sound like normally but seemed ok to me. I am pretty good at convincing myself its OK when I get something in my head. Thanks again for the insight.

On ebay the snowblower and mower deck attachments bring $300-$600 each by themselves depending on condition,completeness and time of year.

If the engine is good the price is low for our area. Onan parts are expensive but cummins is the dealer and they are near white bear rd and hwy 36. the charging could be the wiring, there are different systems depending on what model you will have but there components are all near the flywheel. drop housing seals are fairly easy to replace. I love mine.

Sounds like a good deal to me, You should be able to find a replacement stator or flywheel if needed for the charging system, and I may have one off a CCKA once I pull the engine out of my donner if you need it

You have found me out. It is less than a mile from my house and these are fairly rare in my area. I did try to buy outside of the action but he did not reserve the right for sale prior to end of auction in his ebay listing. Nether one of us was sure if this was possible and what the consequences were if this was done. I know I would be upset if he sold it now outside of the auction without a phone call. would not want to do that to someone else. Can this be done?? Just not familiar enough with how ebay works to know if I can buy outside of auction. Any insight from an experianced ebayer would be helpful. I am very interested in purchasing this tractor but more than willing to do it through ebay. Thanks again for the great advice and quick replies from all members here.

The seller can end the auction whenever he wants,if he wants to. However he may want to ride it out for price sake. Otherwise thats a decent deal for a powermax. Plus that close to you you'll save potentially hundreds in gas not haveing to drive a ways off. Good luck and let us see some pics when you get it home.

Sorry folks missed out this time. Somebody (hopefully someone from here) knew more than I about the ebay deal. I was literaly 10 minutes late.:(:(. Sorry to get hopes up and then crush you guys with this news. Thank you all for your help. Next time I will make a little quicker decision and know a little more about what to look for. Keep the dream alive^. Mike