Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Attempting my first real paint job

roma3112

Fellas I have a sunstar that I want to paint over, I have got the fenders stripped down and I am working on the cracks and dents. My main concern was the hood, the paint on the hood is in ok shape (not factory, probably spray-can) If i spray the hood with automotive (omni urethane single stage)is there a primer i should use that will bond to the rattle can paint and also allow for a good base for the "automotive style" paint to bond to? The paint supply folks did not really have a good answer for me not knowing what was on the hood for paint now. thanks john

John, It's been my experience to remove all the paint and start from scratch. This way you are not assuming anything and can then prep and paint the hood as though it was new. I would use a self etching sandable primer and a hardener in your paint. Can I also assume you have a spray gun? Lucky you if you do....All my paint jobs are rattle can jobs. Just keep the coats thin and allow for proper drying time between coats. That drying time varies according to manufacturer reccomendations. I've painted with paints that reccomend waiting 10 minutes to 3 hours between coats. When I paint, I do not look for a shiny result, I just make sure I have good coverage then rely on the clear coat to bring out the shine. This also helps in the event you have any slight imperfections because you can then wet sand them out of the paint finish with less risk of eating through to the base coat. Plenty of people have painted their tractors in here and i'm sure each has done it a different way. If this is your first attempt then I may suggest painting something disposeable first to get the hang of it. Good luck on your project and I hope it turns out well!! Sean aka Zippo

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&an=&page=&vc=1 This is a very long thread on a Mopar Q&A board,on painting with Rustoleum,and a foam roller. Quite enlightening!

Kenny!!! WOW!! That thread is awesome bud!!:) I woulda NEVER thought of something like that but that is worth its weight in gold IMO as Im a real cheapskate. Im gonna try that and I like how some of those guys did theirs and took pics LOOKS GREAT!!! Slightly off topic but still related to paint and making life easier and cheaper,heres another little handy thing that REALLY works nice!! I used to be a Transportation Coordinator for a Head Start agency with a fleet of 20 School buses that I did all the mechanical work, etc. on.I WAS the Transportation Dept. LOL! Needless to say these buses were NEVER inside, and after a few years the paint got VERY dull looking. I had a freind thats been a body shop owner for over 20 years and was asking him about buffing them out to make them look a tad better but sure wasnt looking forward to buffing about 10 large school buses out for sure. He said Ill tell ya somehting BETTER than buffing or repainting to get that shine back BUT dont tell ANYONE I told ya this. Go to Walmart and get ya some Johnson Floor wax, wash those buses good and then just get one of your old paint guns that you wont mind not using for paint again. Spray it on just like you're painting it and that dude will shine like a new paint job for YEARS!! I looked at him like he was crazy and he said just try it on one and see. Well, I got my old gun down and hooked it up just like normal and then just filled the cup up with the wax and went at it (figuring I had nothing to lose), shot one coat over the whole bus and WOW!!!!! It looked like a brand new paint job even where there had been touch ups that didnt quite match due to fading it all blended into one nice looking uniform color. It looked just like it did when it was wet from washing!! It lasted like that without ANY fading for at least the next 4 years I was there. NOTE: Use an old gun ya dont mind ruining basically, as I never could get all the floor wax out of it after I did them all and it hardened like a rock. MAYBE if you took a lot more time than me you might get it usuable again. I didnt even tape but Id recommend ya do as its kinda time consuming to razor blade the windows to get the overspray off. Oh BTW for you farmers, he also said that he had had several farmers do this to their tractors and combines. They LOVE IT!! It keeps the dust, mud and grease etc. from sticking (the dust just doesnt even stick and the grease and fuel can just be wiped of witha rag and it looks good as new) and they shine like NEW!! This stuff is TOUGH! Dont believe me?? Just try it on a small area and take a look see first. It's cheap, it's easy and it will look like new and I can personally GUARENTEE youll be VERY pleased with the outcome.8D

I'm going to attempt to paint my 91 Dakota using the method talked about. I'll keep you informed.

I didn't read the Mopar thread, but usually you should use a sealer coat (similar to primer) if you have to apply disimilar paints to each other.

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
I'm going to attempt to paint my 91 Dakota using the method talked about. I'll keep you informed.
Ill bet it will work great based on how those other guys turned out! Ill be greatly interested in seeing how this comes out for ya bud it sounds great if it works as good as what those guys say theirs did!!

quote:
Originally posted by jlasater
I didn't read the Mopar thread, but usually you should use a sealer coat (similar to primer) if you have to apply disimilar paints to each other.
I usually would agree Jeremy but this guy swears its uneeded with this type of paint.He says just do whatever body work ya need and shoot it. Swears by it actually, and from the experince the other guys had with theirs when they tried it Id say its true.As the guy put it "Its not necessary but if it bothers ya that bad then do it"

thanks for the info, I will take a ride down to the local autozone and look at what they have for primer/sealers. I think it would be ashame to strip the hood down to nothing not to mension alot of work, I think if i could seal the hood and paint a new top coat i would save alot of work not to mension i would have a few more layers of paint as protection.

This is my first post. I've been a member for a couple of years and have just been lurking (it's amazing what you can learn when you just listen) . Any way I wanted to comment on this post and I promise I'll let y'all know what I have for tractors. About twenty five years ago I was a partner in a race, we didn't have a lot of money to spend on the car and trailer. The trailer was a pro built trailer but had set out in the weather and was really crappy looking. Surface rust, rock chips and faded paint. We were short on time as it was the first of the season. We got a gallon of Rustolium water base paint and sprayed the trailer one Sunday afternoon. Our thinking was this will look good for a couple of months and then we'll do it right. It worked so well that we never did repaint it and sold it that way 6 years later. It didn't have a real deep shine bu it was a trailer and it looked good. I think we spent $20.00 on the paint and used water to thin it and for cleanup. Really cheap! :D