Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Liftshafts - Electric Lift vs. Hydro Lift

stevenj

I want to add a left side lift arm to the lift shaft so I can lift a front bucket using two lift rods. Since the lift shaft on the 17 GTH-L with hydro lift doesn't have the shaft sticking through the left side of the frame I figured that I could use a lift shaft from a tractor with a manual lift since they also had the two ears on the lift shaft to also attach an electric lift actuator. Based on the parts book pictures it looked like I'd be able to connect the hydro lift cylinder to the same point on the lift shaft and I'd be all set. Anyway, I did find a lift shaft from a 7012 with manual lift (1690352)on E-bay and bought it, however, the distance between the ears where you attach the electric lift actuator is only 3/4". The hydro lift cylinder rod is 1" diameter and the distance between the ears on my hydro lift lift shaft is about 1-1/8" so I can not attach the hydro-lift actuator to this other lift shaft.

Tonight I downloaded the installation instructions for the Power Actuator (electric lift). This is a page from the installation instructions. It makes note that there are two different distances between the ears on the lift shaft. I wish I new this little detail before I made my purchase on E-bay.

OK, now here's my questions. 1. What is the diameter of the electric lift actuator where it attaches to the lift shaft? 2. Has anyone else tried to make the modification I'm thinking about? I seem to remember some other tractors with dual lift rods. 3. Which tractors had manual lift lift shafts that measured 1-1/8" between the ears on the tractor lift shaft? 4. If anyone has a hydro-drive 7000 or 7100 series with a manual lift, could you get under the tractor and measure the distance between the ears on the lift shaft. If it measures 1-1/8" let me know what model and model number tractor it is. Thanks in advance.

I convered my manual lift 7016 to hydro, but I used parts (cylinder, clevis) from A foot dragger. The older style fit great. When I had my Bucket, I had lift rods on both sides and it worked great. Less twist when lifting heavy loads.

I ground flats on the side of the rod of my hydraulic cylinder when I put the hydrolift on my 716H. Plenty of strength there, so the flats don't hurt a thing. This makes it fit the narrower rockshaft mount. And you can put one of the link arms from the right side of the rockshaft, over on the left side where the handle originally fit, so that you can hook up two rods. Going to do that myself. Just mount an additional part #29 (first picture)where part #23 (second picture) now mounts. I have the pieces, just haven't done it. I already have a left side hookup, but think that the hookup above would look better. After I originally removed the handle, I made a rod link arm from a piece of flat plate and bolted it where the handle had originally been.

Maynard is correct. I have one of those shafts to put in my 716H, but haven't had the time to do it. I got that shaft so that I could change the direction of lift for my rear implement. I want the rear implement to move opposite the front rather than with it. Also, just to let you know, I used a cylinder from a Sunstar, and a valve with float from a PowerMax. They hook up the same as the ones from a 7100.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Rockshaft from a manual lift 7100 series Simplicity and 900 series Allis Chalmers will work.
Maynard, Are you saying that the 7100 series rockshaft will have the 1-1/8" dimension between the ears? Steve

What did I say? A 7100 series is the same tractor as the 17GTH-L but it also came with manual and hydraulic lift.

I had the same problem with my 3416h rockshaft and a Deere hydro cyl. I ground the weld off one of the brackets moved it over 1/2 in. and tacked it back in place.

Steven, I just measured the two 7100 series rockshafts that I have. They are both 3/4 inch spacing where the cylinder attaches. As I said before, I ground flats on the rod and the mount on the other end of the cylinder from the Sunstar that I used on my 716H to narrow it to 3/4 so it would fit both the rockshaft and the rear mount from a 7100. My parts look identical to the ones shown in your pictures.