Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No Room

firefoxz1

Here is my 6211 I have been using for cart pulling and snow removal since I aquired it with-out a deck. This is the first time in those 3 years that it has had a deck on it. As you can see the 25" tires are just as close to the deck as they are the fenders. No room for errors. I also have 8" wheels on the front instead of the original 6". [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/kismar/SimpClubPics/HP018.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/kismar/SimpClubPics/HP019.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/kismar/SimpClubPics/HP020.jpg[/IMG]

Hey - How are the 8's on the front? I have a 6216 that I would like to do that too - Any adjustment to the mower deck? Are they off a 7000 series? -Thanks

Sean, The tires work real well in the snow and in the woods where I cart yard debri. I haven't mowed the lawn yet but pulling the cart around didn't hurt lawn yet but I think I will have to watch the sharp turning because they do leave a nice footprint back in the woods when climbing the hill. dewayne: They are made by Cheng Shin Tire in Tiawan and called Lumber Jack (Chevron). They are ATV tires and the only 12" is what I bought 25*10*12 which is why I went to 25". I got them from the station's tire supplier. I bought them because they have a good pattern and an almost flat tread exspecially with only 5 psi of air in them.

sunrunner: The wheels on the front are off a Craftsman GT I stripped. I only gained 1/2 ground clearance because the tires are 16" tall instead of 15". They do look better anyway than the original 6" wheel though and someday I may take them back off and paint the wheel to match the tractor. They mounted the same way but I did need a 1/2" or so spacer behind them to keep them from rubbing.

Thom, I am working on a possible trade with a guy that owns a tractor exactly like yours- a 6211. How are they in comparsion to say, the B-series tractors? They seem to be bigger, but the metal work seems thinner to me? How strong is the frame? The one I am thinking about trading- it has a dual cylinder engine, 16 hp, and has a cast iron sleeve rather than an cast-iron engine. I know this is silly, but I'm not a big fan of aluminum engines.

My wheels are real close to the deck too. I have a Landlord 101. I scrapped out a Sovreign of the same vintage and put the wider front axle, front and rear tires on the 101. Later I kept the axle but went back to my narrower 101 tires on front for better steering. Bigger front tires were too fat, slid sideways instead of any bite, especially in snow but on grassy hills also.

Erick I have a 6216, same as 6211 different engine. they call them a yard tractor alot lighter than a B - series tractor which is a garden tractor the yard tractors are heavier than a lawn mower. and able to run ground engaging implements like a tiller a lawn tractor can't do that. as for the engines i beleive that a cast iron sleeved aluminum engine, will hold up just as good as a cast iron blocked one. as long as you don't over heat it just my opinion

Erick, I have a 6216 also. It is true they are not as heavy frame as the older Simplicities but tough enough for everything I've dished out to it. I use this tractor for almost everything I do around the house because it fits me the best. I like where the lift rod is (next to me not way in front), like the variable, like the way the parking brake is applied, steering wheel is in a good position, lots of leg room, and the fuel "mileage" I get on the 6211 is great. Only thing I can think of I don't care for to much is where the shifter is or maybe the way it shifts but then with the variable I can stick it in one gear and vary my ground speed. On the twins don't worry about it being aluminum, just keep the cooling fins clean.

I have a 6216 and find it very comfortable to ride and mow with, I'd even say more comfortable than the older 700 series I've had; although not as nostalgic. The twin cylinder engine is very smooth and mowing with a 48 inch deck is accommplished cleanly at just under 3/4 throttle. This is my dedicated mowing tractor but I can envision it pushing or pulling as well as the FD's when treated properly. I like the variable as firefoxz1 does for the same reason. I don't like this model better than the 700 series but instead find they each have strengths and weaknesses. I have the electric lift for the mower deck that is really a perk, makes me feel kinda all snooty for myself when I use it. If I could change anything about the tractor it would be to convert the transmission to hydrostatic and avoid gears. No plan to do this just typing dream/fantasy.