Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vacumn cart for B-112

Sure but you will need a vac fan or engine/fan combo to have enough force to pull the leaves into the cart. The 3 bladed mower will not do it on it's own.

I saw one of my neighbors vacumning up his leaves with a new craftsman tractor. The cart looked like it was homemade and it made me wonder if anyone has a homemade vacumn cart like this and how it would work with my B-112. I figure that if that crappy craftsman can do it, then my sweetheart should be able to do it better.

Yes you will need some type of vac unit. I also have the tractor mounted vac setup and it works fine. I have the dump trailer which makes it a snap to unload. Just did my backyard, 4 loads in the trailer, 1 hr mowing time total. My back yard gets covered with leaves. Enough that most of the time I am shoving them off of my deck as I mow. If you decide to build the box you are talking about use some 1/4" wire mesh in the back of the top for a vent. A hole approximately 12"x24" should be enough. One note, the flex tubing that runs from the unit to the trailer is not cheap. Around here it goes for $12 a foot for the 6" dia. It takes 5+ foot to make the run on my system. Rob

Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is vacfan unit that can be purchased that can be just bolted onto a wood housing. What I was thinking was to build box that could be slid right onto my utility trailer and use that as the recepticle for leaves. I really don't know whit about this, but I have almost 3 acres of yard and trees and I spend days raking every year. This looks like it would save a ton of time.

Jeff Nemes has a used vacuum fan for the B-series listed on his Used Mower Network. I have one of these, and it works incredibly well. They are VERY heavy duty pieces of equipment -- the fan blades are at least 1/8" steel. I have black walnut trees mixed with the sugar maples around my lot. The walnuts can make some interesting noises getting chopped up by the mower and then going thru the fan. But, I've seen no evidence of damage other than dulling the mower blades.... Fabricating a cover for the cart shouldn't be too hard. Note, however that you don't make it too airtight. It must be vented enough to allow all the air to get out, or it won't vacuum well. Also, you MUST run the engine wide open or you can clog the hoses when you hit wet or deep grass and leaves...[A href='http://home.att.net/~jnem/index.html#Old'][img src='http://home.att.net/~jnem/pics/Vac.jpeg'][/a]

thanks guys, I really appreciate the info. I'm checking into the vaccuum unit mentioned above. The black walnuts and maple as well as a bunch of oaks are what make up my yard as well. I'll update you as I find out more about it all. It maybe too late for this fall, but perfect for next season.