Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint for Simplicity Sovereign 3012?

onthuhlist

OK, All you Allis Chalmers owners. No offense, but it's not fair that you guys have your own paint page on simpletractors.com, but us Simplicity owners have a one-sentence blurb telling us to see the Simplicity dealer. So...on behalf of all the other 21st-century do-it-yourselfers out there who can't get the local Simplicity dealer to email us back, we're looking for commercially-available paints (at ACE or Home Depot) that closely match the original Simplicity colors, and that are gasoline resistant. In particular, I have a 1968 Simplicity 3012. Who can point us in the right direction? What TYPE and COLOR paint should we use? Should we use... 1. Rustoleum Specialty Farm Equipment paint - Allis Chalmers Orange color? (Is the Allis Chalmers Orange color even close to the Simplicity Red?) 2. Ace Rust Stop - there is a #17132 Allis Chalmers Orange, but again, is Allis Chalmers Orange even close to the Simplicity Red? 3. What about the white color used on much of the tractor - control panels, engine side cowling, a stripe on the hood, wheel wells, etc.? By the way, the paint must be oil/gasoline resistant! What are folks thinking by using paint that isn't gasoline resistant?!? This is a tractor, for crying out loud! Let's use the right paint for the job! Thanks!

I used Chevy red/orange engine paint on my Landlord.It is the closest match.You can see it in my gallery.That is the closest match without getting it mixed.Tony

If you want a nearly perfect match, go to an automotive paint supplier and get them to computer match the paint on the underside of the hood. I would clean and wax the area before taking the hood in to them. On my ACs and my son's 64 Landlord we used Chevy Engine Orange in rattlecans from local auto parts house. I would advise you to buy enough for the whole paint job at one time. I went back three different times for paint when doing my AC713S. I have three slightly different shades of paint on it. Only I notice it, since the differences are between different panels. I didn't mix paint lots in the middle of a single spray job. I spent over a year working on that tractor, so there were several months between paint buys.

Another vote for Chevy orange. I sprayed a hunk of metal and compared it to my Legacy's shiny paint and it looked the same. As for the white,someone here had mentioned Rustoleum Canvas White so I tried that and it looked darn good. I have tried about 4-5 different shades/brands of white that have been suggested here and the canvas white looked the best. You can get it in quart cans also. (Or get it color matched in auto paint, which is what I did)

I also agree with the Chevy Engine Red/Orange as an extremely close match. All of the Allis Orange colors I have tried (TSC, Ace Rust Stop, Rustoleum) have been way to Orange. Mike

I found out the hard way that Duplicolor has two Chevy orange engine enamels. Color #1620 is what I use, it is a little brighter orange. I wrote the number on my tool box so I would remember.

I have done touch-ups with the duplicolor #1620 and have not had bad results, I will be doing a pretty good size re-paint on my sunstar using the same paint, hopefully I will not be disappointed.

All mine have been done using Allis Orange. I think this is a user choice type of situation. Mine may not be quite right, but it looks good to me.:D Elon

I have found Rustoleum, color name=Gardenia is a pretty good match for the off white used on many simplicities.

I will let you guys know what the color formulation is if you have an automotive paint supplier mix for you. I am hoping to go get some paint mixed for a roto tiller that I am rebuilding and this winter I am hoping to restore my LL101. I will use the under side of my hood for them to color match. More to follow............

Well here is some more information. Went to the shop to take a look my LL101 hood and come to the conclusion that it had been repainted with a spray can. So I decided to take a part of the roto tiller cover and the foot rests from the LL101 and last a part of a sickle bar that was for my LL101. I polished a section of all the parts and headed off to the local body shop supply store. They did a color match scan and came up with a formulation. They were unable to mix up the gallon for me, they did not have enough of the colors on hand to mix it. They will have it for me next week and I will share the formulation with everybody. They did mix up a small amount to test the color match. I will post the the picture shortly.

Here is the picture. What do you think?

ok I need help with the picture up load and resized to below 100KB. what else do I need to do or can some one help me. Thanks.

I used Allis Chalmers orange in a spray gun paint sold by Rural King,on my 2110.Much brighter than original.

HTews, To upload pictures, scroll down to where the quick reply box is on the bottom of this thread... Immediately above the box, you will see a link under the last post that says "reply". It's next to "new topic" and "Subscribe to this topic". (That's the reply option with extra capabilities that the quick reply does not have.) The quick reply box that you always use to post messages WILL NOT upload pictures. You have to use the "normal" reply link to upload. 1. Click on that reply link. (A new page will pop up with a large reply page.) 2. On the far right of the buttons you will see a paperclip icon. Click on that. 3. Direct it to the source of your image file and upload. 4. Close the "your image has been uploaded" dialog box. 5. The text code should be automatically inserted. If you wanted to type something above the picture, type a message above the already inserted code... Leave a blank line between your text and the code. If you wanted to type something underneath the picture, type a message below the already inserted code... Leave a blank line between your text and the code. Afterwards, click submit. Just got this link... UCD wrote this- it may better explain how to do this- picture step by step: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33415[/url]

Here I gave it another try. Thanks for the tips Ketchamized. I followed them but it is still not working. the pictures show up if I look at them under MY AREA. but not here in the post. I must be missing something...:( I'll keep working at it as I have time.

HTews, Looking at the properties of the image placeholder in your post, it seems like you might have spaces or symbols in the filename... if you do, rename the file and see if that works. Hope this helps, TD

Thanks for the help TD. Renamed and it worked! You can see the test drop on the right. Its may not be perfect but it is very close. This is for what I believe is the Simplicity Deep Orange Paint. I will share the formulation when I get the paint on Friday. HT