Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro Conversion....here I come...woohoo

Simpleton7016

If you can believe it, I could not find two good double AA batteries in the entire house. We have a house full of toys that require batteries and I could not find a good one for the camera. Unbelievable! Take note Shannon....just one of those 'little things' that people don't tell you about when you have kids! :D But enough venting. I will add pictures tommorrow. I had a soccer game out near Dave Emmer's place tonight. (That's the guy that there was a post about a few days ago). I knew the kids were asleep so I thought, "what the hay, I'll stop by and shoot the breeze and see if he has any goodies". Lo and behold, he had just torn the hydro unit off of a 7117. So he gave me a very fair price and now it graces the inside of my garage. It was dark out and we could not get the lines and the relief valves out of the pump tonight...so I get to go back. He said maybe it will be easier just to remove the entire pump and leave the lines in it. 1. What are your thoughts? Is it easier or advisable to just change over the whole works - pump and all? 2. I have done limited research on the subject in the archives (and discussed it with Mr. BLT also), but if memory serves my 912 can be converted rather easily. But to install it in the 7016 will require some modifications? Is this accurate and if so, can I make the modifications with the tractor together or do I need to strip it down? The reason I ask is that I would prefer to use the hydro lift on the tractor with the snowblower (the 7016). 3. I bought this unit without any knowledge of whether or not it actually works. Dave could not say for certain either. What goes wrong with these? Is there anything I can do to test its functionality? What, if any parts of it wear out and should be replaced while I have the unit out? 4. Anything else I should know about the conversion? Pros and cons? I probably won't get around to doing it until next summer, but it's not too early to dream! Thanks again for all your ongoing assistance and sharing of knowledge. As I will be out by Dave again in the next week or so, please send me your wish list to my PM box and I can run them by him. He admits that he is incredibly difficult to get ahold of either by e-mail or phone. Erik

I would make sue I got the lines, lift handle, ect. I don`t know if your 912 has the tube welded in the frame for the lift handle or not, but if it doesn`t you will need to takes some measurements from his frame so you can weld one into your 912 frame. You may even need the rock shaft out of his frame as well.

Erik, Which tractor do you want to put it in. It will fit directly into a 7016H, same as a 912H. When you remove the check valves, be sure to mark which holes they came out of. The one for the lift bypasses at around 750 psi, while the one for the tranny bypasses at around 250 psi. These pressures are set at the factory by putting shims under the springs in the valve. If you get the whole pump, then you are guaranteed to have the pressures factory set. If you install the valves into another pump (like I did on my AC716H) the pressures could be off some. You will need the check valves, the cylinder, the control valve and the lever that operates it, the lines, and the cross brace that bolts into the frame to mount the rear of the hydraulic cylinder. If you put the hydrolift into a 7016H, you will have to position and weld a bushing into the frame to mount the lever that actuates the hydraulic valve. This is basically the only thing that is not a direct bolt in. I posted a topic a year or so ago about installing a hydrolift into my AC 716H, and what needs to be done. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=45949&SearchTerms=hydrolift and also this one which shows the part numbers and hookups. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=46227&SearchTerms=hydrolift

I would really rather put it in the 7016H for a couple of reasons. 1. That will always be my "baby" even if it is the ugly duckling. 2. That will be my winter tractor and with the new hard front windshield on the cab, I think I need to have the hydro lift so that it will fit under the dash bracket. 3. Of all the implements I have, the snowblower gives my arm and shoulder the greatest workout, so I can get some relief. So yes, it is the 7016 I would like to put it in. Thanks for the links, I do recall stumbling across those a while ago...so you just saved me some time! I will try to clean up the parts and take some pictures, but I think it is complete, lever and all. The lines back to the pump are solid and not flexible so I think I will have him rip of the pump thereby leaving all the factory setting in tact. (look for a post in the future about tips for pump replacement;)) I don't have a welder so I will have to cozy up to the neighbor across the street for a favor. I think I have seen him welding stuff in his drive. Is the "tube" that Ray is talking about the same as the "bushing" that Ron is speaking of?

Erik, The bushing/tube I was talking about is for the shaft of the hydrolift actuation lever to go thru. I made my lever from the shuttle lever of a 410. On that tractor the tube bolted on, so I drilled a hole in my 716H frame and bolted that one in. The 7100 series tractors had these tubes welded in from the factory. Maybe you could cut a piece out of a 7100 frame around the tube, and just bolt that into the 7016H. You just need some way to mount the lever for the lift. You can measure from the 912 frame to determine where the holes need to be drilled. I took my dimensions from my 7100 frame.

Pics added below. These are the pieces I have so far. I thing the common terms for the first two are the "pump" and the "ram". But do please tell me if they are more commonly referred to by some other term so I don't look like toooooooo much of an idiot. (The way I see it, there are two types of people in the world....those that will tell you your fly is open and those who will let you walk around all day with it open and not say a word. I prefer the former type of person)

The first one is the control valve. The second one is the cylinder or ram. The pump for this system is the charge pump of the hydrostatic tranny.

Aaahhh. So my fly WAS open. Thank you Rod! Also, my apologies as I have been calling you Ron for as long as I have been here! I will try to correct myslef in the future, but HubbardRA is pretty much ingrained in my brain as "Ron"....so I will probably err at least a dozen more time before I get it right! Sincerely though, Thanks. Erik

I have a 700 series AC with hydraulic lift. The control valve was attached to the frame and a hole drilled for the control lever and installed with no bushing welded to the frame and it works great. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/MikeES/web710left.JPG[/img] I again will depend on someone else to fix the picture. I cannot get any pictures to ever work. Thanks to whoever fixes it for me.

Eric I have mounted what you bought (for mounting ideas) from Emmers. I am going up to Burnett today and have made a mental note to call you later. BT