Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Valves

Steve_Wyrick

I have a briggs&stratton model # 243431 that I've just rebuilt.I can't get any gas to the spark plug. I've had the valves ground, but not the valve seats. But still no gas getting to the plug. When cranking gas just floods out the carb at the bottom. I also have a good spark. But when I take the spark plug out It's dry. Anybody got any ideas. Thanks Steve.

If you can't have the seats cut try lapping compound and make sure it is completely removed when you are done. You also need to adjust the valve clearance by CAREFULLY grinding the valve tips for .007-.009 on the intake and .017-.019 on the exhaust. Resurfacing the valves removes material from the valve face allowing it to drop down deeper into the seat, reducing its former clearance. Make sure both valves are closed and the piston is at top dead center before checking and adjusting the gap.

steve, Im asuming you got the cam timed to the crank. It might be that you have low compression. Try pulling out the plug, dump 2 Tbl. spoons of clean motor oil down plug hole and turn over a couple of times. reinstall plug and try to start. With out the oil actting like a seal, and keeps comp. gases from blowing by the piston, going into crankcase. From there it goes out the vent tube and into the carb.[thus the blowing of gasout carb] hope this helps Charlie