Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Shifter won't move forward to 1-3 gears

Kent
I drove my B-210 down and put the cart/vacuum away for the winter today. I thought I'd drive back up the hill in 3rd (tractor spends most of it's time in 2nd/reverse) but the shifter would not slide forward. Choices were limited to 2nd or reverse. I brought it into the barn and tried several times to move it, firmly but not forcefully, then finally gave up without success... since with the chill factor it was about 20 degrees! I could see nothing external that might be causing the problem... any suggestions?

JeffNemes
If you have the safety switch that the shift lever must press against to activate the neutral start the grease may have been too cold to allow the shift shaft to slide. Squirt a little WD or CRC to help dissolve the grease some. Or the switch/bracket may need adjusting.

Ishmael2k
Hi Kent, I do remember this being discussed quite some time ago and I think DLC had the answer or the cure. I just don't know where someone could begin the search for the data. Geez I don't beleive it. I had copied the cure from Al Jualed and the date is 8-16-99...Subject Re. 1972 Landlord Transmission trouble,next. Al does state that this problem usually can be fixed without removing the case. His reply to your type of problem fits you discription to the letter. If you can't find it Kent let me know and I will scan you the page. Cheers, >>->happyjack<-<<

JeffNemes
They're talking about the gears being double locked where you can try to "unjam" them through the fill plug. But that's when you are stuck in only one gear and not two. That's one reason you really have to try hard not to "speed shift" with these. Try to make all shifts slowly, firmly and deliberately. When they are older and "looser" if they do not fully lock back in their "resting" position they can slide out from the shaft after you are in another gear, lock you out and cause a jam. :(