Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sicklebar mowers

Ronald Hribar

Just got back in house from using string trimmer to cut down grass along creek in swamp behind my house. Usually I can talke the utility company into cleaning the right of away. Too wet for them to get in with their equipment this year. My question is, with the sickle bar attachment,How much clearance is there under tractor ? It looks like about 4 inches. I want to get a sicklebar to play with , and I see MPH cutting some tall stuff down. The grass out there today is 5 to 6 feet tall.

Seeings as I mounted mine yesterday Ron I could get you some measurements, The lowest point is the pulley with just clears 4 inches. The pitman end shoe is only 2 inches in the raised postion but if you lock it up in the vert. travel mode it's higher then the pulley. Not sure about cutting 5-6 foot tall stuff but it sure would be fun trying:) Was planning on mowing my clover field that's done bloomed out but it started rainning yesterday as I put the last pin in and hasn't stopped long enough to play yet:(

Thanks Marty I saw a Haban 3pt mower on e-bay ,set up for 2000rpm would work well on PowerMax and would give some ground clearance

The best thing about sickle mowers is the fact that no matter how high the growth is a sickle will mow it. Once you make a pass through the grass you can reverse your dirrection of travel and run the tractor on the cut. The one I had on my 212 did a very good job, however the skid shoes on the bar kept the blades off the ground several inches higher than I wanted. As for a powermax clearence, I don't think the grass would bother the actual gear assembly and they use the mule drive like the mower decks so that would be the lowest hard point. That should leave you around 6" of clearence.

I think if memory serves me I've heard of them going for as much as 800.00 before. But I'd never go for that. 00.00 for a rough one needing parts to 500.00 or 600.00 for a real good one I think is more along market price. Might ask Levi as I think he recently got one. I think I've seen them on ebay for between 400.00 and 500.00 in the last 6 mounths. But this is my bad memory again. Did you get that one you spoke of hauled in yet?

Not yet Dave, been missing too many work days due to my x passin on and now all the kids are up here and been dealing with a lot of matters that gotta get done from 9-5 weekdays. Just can't do a grand for a tractor in pieces so I just drual ever night as I drive past the blue tarp.