Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Altered State

ZippoVarga

Yep....it's done. Just thought i'd show a couple pics. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/000_0039.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/000_0040.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/000_0041.jpg[/img]

That thing's a beast! How does it handle with the smaller front wheels? :) Looks like it can turn very sharply and do wheelies...

After I learn a bit more about pulling it will become a puller. Right now, it's just a toy. As for the handeling, yes, it turns on a dime. And wheelies????? It's hard to keep the front wheels on the ground even in first gear at idle. I did a little pulley alteration. It humms along at about 19 MPH in third at 3/4 throttle. Barks the tires in all three gears. Almost scary. But still fun. Those tires on front came off a two wheeled dolly. They're 4ply industrial Good Years so I figured I wouldnt have to worry about load. Excelt when the front slams back to the ground when I chicken out...lol. They've held up ok so far. The rears are the old stock tires off the Landlord. They're about 3 inches taller than the stock wheel horse tires. Thanks for the comments guys.

Shoot, if you ever come over to check out my stuff, you could just drive that! Gear it up a little! N'yuk!

Sean, I've read somewhere on the internet about a guy that managed to get his tractor going 50 miles an hour with some slight pulley modification and a slightly bigger engine. I'd think yours probably could do that fast. I'd add some kind of rear-mounted wheelie-stoppers, like they do on those dragster cars if it went that fast. :o)

Sean, If you are thinking about tractor pulling, you need to get the rules for the pulling organization. They may not have a class for that tractor, or it may be stuck into a class where it would not be competitive. Build the tractor to the rules and max out the rules, if you want to be competitive. Start with the rules, know them inside and out, then put the tractor together to match the rules. I've had to change engines because of rule changes. Tractor was set up for a specific weight class, but engine was too big for that class. Had to drop down from 16 Hp to 14 Hp to run competitively. Chassis just didn't hook up well at the heavier weight, so we dropped to a lighter class.

Rod, I did some reading last night on the regulations both nationally and locally here in Indiana. I agree, should build one from the guidelines. Not to mention that according to many reports, the aluminum engines tend to flex under load and don't last long. Lots to learn. This is to by my eldest daughters puller, not mine. My back wont allow me to engage in such activities with out paying dearly. It'll be a while and probably a wide framed tractor like one of the old IH Cubs or a Cases set up for a twin that i'll adapt a cast iron single into. But i'll use the hood and fenders from a donor simp and adapt them to it. Was just a "lets see if I can do it" thing to begin with but since my eldest daughter has taken interest, we're looking more towards a stock class to start her out with. Should be a fun hobby for the whole family once it's off the ground. I've seen some testimonials where these guys have sunk 10,000 into their garden class tractors. That's a bit scary to me, but one never knows untill you get there. After reading the rules I discovered this thing has no class...lol. Joe, I had a 16hp twin laying around and well....it wasnt doing any one any good just sitting there...lol.