Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Seat replacement ??

jrmorrill

So for those who've rebuilt their tractors what have you chosen for a seat? My Landlord 2010's seat is in bad shape. I'm considering a replacement but haven't found something that matches the bolt pattern and includes some sort of springs to help absorb the rough ride. Right now my seat is just bolted onto the "seat pan" without any rubber absorbers. Thanks for your input! Jason

I got mine at www.colemans.com. They have replacement seat cushsions for just under $10.00. Lowes also sell new replacement tractor seats. Hope this helps.

I have bought seats from Northerntool.com I have also seen a lot of those replacemnet cushions and a lot of them the trim is always falling off like the one on my Deere... maybe this is the installers fault I don't know

Replaced mine with the kind that you stretch over your seat frame, but am not to happy with it. Next time will replace entire seat with new or have existing frame redone. Just my 2 cents. Jack

I wonder if JoAnn Fabrics has material like the original seats. If they do, it'd be very easy to re-cover a tractor seat and have it look professionaly done.

Thanks for the replies so far. But has anyone done something to help absorb the back-jarring ride of the older simplicities? My current ideas are:
  • Using short springs (worn out valve springs) under the seat. The seat bolts would pass through the spring and be slightly tightened. The weight of the rider would further compress the springs.
  • Using rubber tubing cut into 3/4" length under the seat. Installed similarly to the spring idea above
  • Fitting a more modern seat with shock absorbtion built-in. But won't this raise the height of the seat to impossible levels for use on the old tractor?
Thoughts? Comments? Should I just start experimenting and give the results back to the group? :) Jason 66 Landlord

I put a Legacy seat on my 7117. Very comfortable ride, back doesn't hurt any more when done mowing. It DOESN'T bolt up, has to be modified to fit.

Run your rear tire pressure lower? I run 7psi in my mowers. You can try lower if you want, but that was low enough for me. I also have four seat springs on my 7100 class machine (7790), I guess I am fat boy and with just two springs it was bottomed out all the time.

I bought a Aftermarket seat off of a Simplicity/Allis site(well, my parents did). I forgot which one though. And to get a smoother ride I added 2 large rubber O-rings uner each bolt between 2 washers. Its a really smooth ride now.